Prep roundup: Nevada Union places second at Alpine Meadows
January 6, 2014
With a weak winter snowfall, resorts have been blowing snow whenever they get a chance.
Alpine Meadows generated enough over the weekend to host the Central II opener giant slalom event on man-made snow, allowing the Nevada Union alpine ski team to compete for the first time this season.
It was the best "snow" the Miners had seen all season.
"A third of my racers have never seen a gate until today, but we were able to get in half a dozen training days over the break, getting the kids used to carving race turns," NU coach Ken Ramirez said in an email.
Nevada Union's preparation helped it claim second in the boys competition, finishing six points behind Davis. Nevada Union also placed second in the girls competition and placed second in combined team placement.
For the boys team, Peter McDowell placed third with a combined time of 1 minute, 5.59 seconds. Caspar Hendrickson was fifth with a 1:05.7 and was followed by Ethan Good with a 10th-place finish at 1:08.29. Josh Harris rounded out the scoring runs with a 16th place at 1:10.13.
The Lady Miners were led by Emma Stratman with a 10th place finish at 1:12.27 followed by Tori Newman in 14th at 1:14.96. Katie King skied the course for 17th place at 1:16.61, while German foreign exchange student Anna Deutschmann placed 18th at 1:17.64.
The Miners' next race will be a slalom Monday at Sugar Bowl.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- CROSSFIT: Shaun Havard, Will Havard gear up for 2017 Reebok CrossFit Games
- ROLLER DERBY: Growing Outlaws team seeks sponsors, new members
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Maxwell helps Gold Sox to victory
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon set for September, proceeds will fund mammograms and scholarships
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- Following theft, beloved Nevada County local Kenny Bond to get new bike donated from local businesses
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial