Prep roundup: Nevada Union nets two, tops Rocklin
October 16, 2013
The Nevada Union boys soccer team resumed its challenge for a playoff bid with a hard fought 2-1 win against Sierra Foothill League foe Rocklin.
Nikolai Breiter put the Miners ahead in the fifth minute with a near-post volley after strong work from freshman Jack Devlin, holding up the ball and managing to get a cross away. Brieter leads the Miners with five goals this season and four assists.
NU (4-4-1, 3-2-1 SFL) dominated the remainder of the first half possession, with good defensive performances from center-backs Greg Paul and Collin Echols. They could have extended the lead several times with Logan Siemers coming agonizingly close to converting a cross on the slide as it flashed across goal.
The second half saw two good saves from the Rocklin goalkeeper to deny Breiter a second before he finally succumbed. David Bernadett released an early through-ball for Breiter to race onto, and this time, he held off the defender to finish past the keeper into the far corner, putting NU up 2-0 with 15 minutes remaining.
Rocklin fought back hard and won a penalty in the 75th minute, which was squeezed past goalkeeper Caspar Hendrickson.
With the equalizer in their sights, Rocklin threw everything at NU for the last five minutes. The goalkeeper even joined the attack from a corner and free kick. But NU held on with more good saves from Hendrickson.
Recommended Stories For You
The win keeps the Miners in contention for playoff spot, and they will continue that push today against Granite Bay.
Nevada Union 3, Woodcreek 1
After opening the Sierra Foothill League 1-3, the Lady Miners got back on the right track Wednesday, beating Woodcreek in four sets, 25-9, 26-16, 24-26, 25-18.
NU welcomed Amanda Roberts back to the lineup, and she contributed 10 kills, four aces and 16 digs. Emily Segel added 11 kills, Hannah Bryant chipped in nine kills, two blocks and two aces, and Melanie O'Brien had seven kills and three blocks.
The junior varsity squad also won, 25-13, 25-10.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Lady Miners enjoying best season in years, set to face Rocklin on Pink Night
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Lady Miners sweep Rocklin on Pink Night (VIDEO)
- YOUTH BASEBALL: Gold Country Bears claim multiple tourney titles
- PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River, Colfax face off in critical league bout
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union blanked by Bulldogs
- Moratorium on insurance policies affect prospective Nevada County homeowners
- Grass Valley murder suspect pleads not guilty by reason of insanity
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Suspect arrested in two Grass Valley spot fires
- Hefty expenses force Nevada City to take out loans