Prep roundup: Nevada Union girls rally past Pleasant Valley
January 8, 2014
The Nevada Union girls basketball team trailed by 12 in the fourth quarter Tuesday at Pleasant Valley, but the Lady Miners refused to go quietly, making an impressive late run to steal the game, 63-59.
The Lady Miners (9-4) got a 25-point performance from senior Sydney Porter and a double-double from Sammy DeHart to propel them to the win. DeHart finished with 19 points, 10 rebounds and four steals.
NU also got good games from Emma Peterson with 13 points and Melanie O'Brien with five points and four assists from her post position, and Grace Paye was a factor on the boards.
The Lady Miners open Sierra Foothill League play at 5:30 p.m. Friday when they host Woodcreek.
JV: Pleasant Valley 37, Nevada Union 31
The Lady Miners suffered just their third loss of the season, falling to Pleasant Valley by six points Tuesday in Chico.
Aycee Willis led NU with 14 points, and Mellisa Wilcoxen provided a spark off the bench, but in the end, it wasn't enough to overcome the Lady Vikings.
Nevada Union (10-3) will take the court again Friday against Woodcreek.
Oakmont 63, Nevada Union 46
The Miners jumped out to a 10-5 lead in the first quarter, but things quickly soured from there.
Oakmont rallied to win the first quarter 16-15, then held NU to just two points in the second as it pulled away from the Miners.
NU would trail by as many as 20 in the second half but fought back, whittling the lead down to seven, but that was as close as the Miners would get.
Mario Edwards led NU with nine points, Garrett O'Callaghan added eight, and Jahn Chensee sank a pair of 3s.
The Miners open SFL play at 7 p.m. Friday when they host Woodcreek.
JV: Nevada Union 53, Oakmont 43
The Miners played well Tuesday night, grabbing a nine-point lead at half and never relenting on their way to a 10-point win over Oakmont. Kross Corbett led NU with 15 points on 7-of-12 shooting, and Nick Ortiz scored 10 in the win.
The Miners (9-6) open SFL play Thursday against Woodcreek.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232. Deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- COLLEGE BOUND: Nevada Union student athletes make college commitments
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union track and field qualifies four to Masters Meet
- YOUTH BASEBALL: Gold Country Bears claw way to tourney title
- PREP SOFTBALL: Bear River Lady Bruins bring hot bats into next round of playoffs
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball
- Lawsuit filed against Nevada County alleges wrongful jail death