Prep roundup: Nevada Union girls rally past Pleasant Valley
January 8, 2014
The Nevada Union girls basketball team trailed by 12 in the fourth quarter Tuesday at Pleasant Valley, but the Lady Miners refused to go quietly, making an impressive late run to steal the game, 63-59.
The Lady Miners (9-4) got a 25-point performance from senior Sydney Porter and a double-double from Sammy DeHart to propel them to the win. DeHart finished with 19 points, 10 rebounds and four steals.
NU also got good games from Emma Peterson with 13 points and Melanie O'Brien with five points and four assists from her post position, and Grace Paye was a factor on the boards.
The Lady Miners open Sierra Foothill League play at 5:30 p.m. Friday when they host Woodcreek.
JV: Pleasant Valley 37, Nevada Union 31
The Lady Miners suffered just their third loss of the season, falling to Pleasant Valley by six points Tuesday in Chico.
Recommended Stories For You
Aycee Willis led NU with 14 points, and Mellisa Wilcoxen provided a spark off the bench, but in the end, it wasn't enough to overcome the Lady Vikings.
Nevada Union (10-3) will take the court again Friday against Woodcreek.
Oakmont 63, Nevada Union 46
The Miners jumped out to a 10-5 lead in the first quarter, but things quickly soured from there.
Oakmont rallied to win the first quarter 16-15, then held NU to just two points in the second as it pulled away from the Miners.
NU would trail by as many as 20 in the second half but fought back, whittling the lead down to seven, but that was as close as the Miners would get.
Mario Edwards led NU with nine points, Garrett O'Callaghan added eight, and Jahn Chensee sank a pair of 3s.
The Miners open SFL play at 7 p.m. Friday when they host Woodcreek.
JV: Nevada Union 53, Oakmont 43
The Miners played well Tuesday night, grabbing a nine-point lead at half and never relenting on their way to a 10-point win over Oakmont. Kross Corbett led NU with 15 points on 7-of-12 shooting, and Nick Ortiz scored 10 in the win.
The Miners (9-6) open SFL play Thursday against Woodcreek.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232. Deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union falls to Rocklin in league opener (VIDEO)
- PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River runs over El Dorado, remains unbeaten
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union opens Sierra Foothill League play at Rocklin
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union volleyball tops Bear River in cross-county bout
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon brings community together, raises funds to fight breast cancer
- Running into trouble: Failed negotiations between canal-side property owner and Banner Mountain group spur lawsuit
- Sierra Nevada snow causes huge, fatal crash
- Cause of death confirmed for Bridgeport hiker
- Grass Valley police: Spray painted, stolen vehicle leads to arrest
- Eye on the Economy: Nevada County’s commerce lags behind in economic recovery (VIDEO)