Prep Roundup: Nevada Union girls basketball teams swept by Del Oro
January 26, 2013
In a matchup between the top two girls basketball teams in the Sierra Foothill League it was Del Oro outlasting Nevada Union, 58-53.
The Lady Miners (15-4, 3-1 SFL) got off to a slow start, trailing by 16 points at one point and went into halftime down 10.
Nevada Union whittled the Del Oro (14-7, 4-0 SFL) lead down to just two, but that would be as close as they would get, eventually falling by five.
NU had little answers for Del Oro's inside presence, allowing post player Stephanie Geyer to score 18 points in the first half.
NU senior Kaylin Martin led the Lady Miners with 11 points, including three 3-pointers, and Sammy DeHart, Sydney Porter and Emma Peterson each added 10 points.
The Lady Miners return to league play Friday when they travel to take on Roseville. NU will host a rematch with Del Oro Feb. 7.
JV: Del Oro 40,
Nevada Union 23
The Lady Miners started slow and never fully recovered as they fell to Del Oro by 17.
NU went into the halftime break down 23-3, and despite outscoring Del Oro in the third and fourth quarters, were never really within striking distance.
Sarah Lundmark led the Lady Miners with eight points, five rebounds and three steals. Grace Paye added six points to go with 10 rebounds and Mikaela Hawkins chipped in five points off the bench.
NU hits the court again Friday when it faces Roseville.
Freshmen: Del Oro 58,
Nevada Union 20
The Lady Miners had all sorts of trouble with the Lady Golden Eagles, falling by a whopping 38 points.
In a game where NU had more turnovers (38) than points, Rachaiel McKnight was a bright spot with five points and four steals. Mellisa Wilcoxen played strong defense for NU with eight rebounds and two steals to go with three points.
NU has a quick turnaround as they take the court again today to face Roseville.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Maxwell helps Gold Sox to victory
- GIVING BACK: Annual Lake Wildwood golf fundraiser aids injured vets
- PREP FOOTBALL: A look at several must see games in the upcoming season
- YOUTH SWIMMING: Northern Sierra makes splash in Redding
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- Now hiring: Grass Valley, Nevada City undergoing changes
- Ideas swirl about affordable housing in Nevada City
- Crime Roundup: Penn Valley murder; walking stick assault; ATV chase
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth