Prep Roundup: Nevada Union girls basketball teams swept by Del Oro
January 26, 2013
In a matchup between the top two girls basketball teams in the Sierra Foothill League it was Del Oro outlasting Nevada Union, 58-53.
The Lady Miners (15-4, 3-1 SFL) got off to a slow start, trailing by 16 points at one point and went into halftime down 10.
Nevada Union whittled the Del Oro (14-7, 4-0 SFL) lead down to just two, but that would be as close as they would get, eventually falling by five.
NU had little answers for Del Oro's inside presence, allowing post player Stephanie Geyer to score 18 points in the first half.
NU senior Kaylin Martin led the Lady Miners with 11 points, including three 3-pointers, and Sammy DeHart, Sydney Porter and Emma Peterson each added 10 points.
The Lady Miners return to league play Friday when they travel to take on Roseville. NU will host a rematch with Del Oro Feb. 7.
Recommended Stories For You
JV: Del Oro 40,
Nevada Union 23
The Lady Miners started slow and never fully recovered as they fell to Del Oro by 17.
NU went into the halftime break down 23-3, and despite outscoring Del Oro in the third and fourth quarters, were never really within striking distance.
Sarah Lundmark led the Lady Miners with eight points, five rebounds and three steals. Grace Paye added six points to go with 10 rebounds and Mikaela Hawkins chipped in five points off the bench.
NU hits the court again Friday when it faces Roseville.
Freshmen: Del Oro 58,
Nevada Union 20
The Lady Miners had all sorts of trouble with the Lady Golden Eagles, falling by a whopping 38 points.
In a game where NU had more turnovers (38) than points, Rachaiel McKnight was a bright spot with five points and four steals. Mellisa Wilcoxen played strong defense for NU with eight rebounds and two steals to go with three points.
NU has a quick turnaround as they take the court again today to face Roseville.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- CYCLING: Local cyclist Jonathan Baker wins National Hill Climb Championship
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union grad Logan Lowe has strong 1st round at US Amateur Championships
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union grad Tanner Vallejo injured in preseason opener
- PREP FOOTBALL: Humphers returns to coaching, joins River Valley staff
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union grad Logan Lowe eliminated at US Amateur Championship
- Felony manslaughter filed in fatal Grass Valley ATV crash
- Housing crisis hits deep: Nevada County family struggles to find a place to live
- Terry McAteer: Rejecting endorsement of hatred, bigotry
- Caltrans talks Highway 49 concept: Center barrier, roundabouts on corridor
- General manager of Nevada Irrigation District clarifies comments about marijuana grows