Prep roundup: Nevada Union carves up Alpine
February 3, 2014
With an early start and fresh snow to carve up, the Lady Miners, sans their best snowboarder Celine Holland, took first place as a team in the girls giant slalom Monday at Alpine Meadows.
With Holland traveling with Team Squaw this week, Faith Robichaud led Nevada Union, taking first overall with a two-race combined time of 1 minute, 9.2 seconds. Coming in sixth for NU was Michaela Haemmig in a time of 1:12.38. Sophie Smith (1:25.47) placed 13th for the Lady Miners, and Zoe Favor took 22nd in a time of 1:47.47.
On the boys side, Bradley Carrion led NU with an eighth-place finish in a time of 1:09.57. Also faring well for NU was Alec Fitandes (1:11.36) who took 12th, Luca Innocenti (1:14.74) in 21st, Logan Smith (1:14.95) placing 23rd, and Erik Whatley (1:15.82) at 26th.
NU alpine ski team takes 2nd
The Nevada Union boys alpine ski team had a tough go Monday at Alpine Meadows as top racers Caspar Hendrickson and Peter McDowell both lost an edge leading to a substantial addition of seconds.
With McDowell and Hendrickson turning in above average times, Ethan Good was able to cinch the fourth place spot with a time of 1:09.64 while teammates Josh Harris (1:13.85) came in at 14th, Joe Fenner (1:16.92) placed 16th, and John Schlothauer (1:17.13) took 17th.
For the Lady Miners, Emma Stratman finished sixth with a time of 1:09.62. She was followed by Mikaela Lujan in 10th at 1:18.81, Tori Newman in 12th at 1:19.60, and Katie King rounding things out in 13th with a time of 1:20.96.
Combined point totals put the team in second.
The Miners wrap up the division contests next week at Sugarbowl with a slalom.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- TRACK AND FIELD: Records fall at Union Hill Invitational
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union grad Josh Roenicke having strong season in Mexico
- YOUTH TENNIS: Junior players earn doubles title at USTA tourney in Elk Grove
- INDYCAR: Rossi qualifies on the front row for Indy 500
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier