Prep roundup: Nevada Union baseball tops Roseville
May 1, 2013
The Nevada Union baseball team had a big third inning and solid relief pitching Tuesday to help them past Sierra Foothill League foe Roseville, 8-7.
The Miners (10-12, 4-7 SFL), playing at home, got a bases loaded double from senior Matt Paruszkiewicz that scored three runs and highlighted a six-run third inning.
Nick Eccarius took over on the mound in the fourth inning and shut down a Tiger offense that had plated seven runs up to that point. Eccarius pitched the remaining four innings with no runs allowed and four strikeouts.
Travis Hansen added a 2-for-4 performance to aid NU in the win.
The Miners are back at it Thursday when they travel to Roseville for the second game of the three-game series.
Placer 4, Bear River 1
The Lady Bruins had their eight-game win streak, as well as their undefeated Pioneer Valley League streak, ended Thursday at the hands of the Hillgals.
Nerissa Long pitched all seven innings for Bear River with 13 strikeouts, three hits, and no earned runs.
Leading the offense for the Lady Bruins was Rachel Last with a solo home run.
Bear River (10-9, 7-1 PVL) takes the diamond again Thursday at Colfax.
Nevada Union places 5th at SFL tourney
The Miners struggled Tuesday in the final Sierra Foothill League tournament at Catta Verdera Country Club.
NU finished in fifth place, shooting 426 as a team. Granite Bay was first with a team score of 389, Rocklin was second with a 398, Del Oro took third with a 424, Woodcreek was fourth with a 426 and Roseville was last with a 469.
Leading the Miners was Derek Frank shooting a 79 on the par-72 course. Andrew Puleo was next for NU with an 82, Logan Lowe shot an 82 as well, Bradley Carrion added an 87 and Bert Heinzelman rounded things out with a 96.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- TRACK AND FIELD: Records fall at Union Hill Invitational
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- YOUTH TENNIS: Junior players earn doubles title at USTA tourney in Elk Grove
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union grad Josh Roenicke having strong season in Mexico
- AUTO RACING: 18th annual Mel Hall Memorial set for Saturday
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier