Prep roundup: Nevada Union baseball tops Roseville
May 1, 2013
The Nevada Union baseball team had a big third inning and solid relief pitching Tuesday to help them past Sierra Foothill League foe Roseville, 8-7.
The Miners (10-12, 4-7 SFL), playing at home, got a bases loaded double from senior Matt Paruszkiewicz that scored three runs and highlighted a six-run third inning.
Nick Eccarius took over on the mound in the fourth inning and shut down a Tiger offense that had plated seven runs up to that point. Eccarius pitched the remaining four innings with no runs allowed and four strikeouts.
Travis Hansen added a 2-for-4 performance to aid NU in the win.
The Miners are back at it Thursday when they travel to Roseville for the second game of the three-game series.
Recommended Stories For You
Placer 4, Bear River 1
The Lady Bruins had their eight-game win streak, as well as their undefeated Pioneer Valley League streak, ended Thursday at the hands of the Hillgals.
Nerissa Long pitched all seven innings for Bear River with 13 strikeouts, three hits, and no earned runs.
Leading the offense for the Lady Bruins was Rachel Last with a solo home run.
Bear River (10-9, 7-1 PVL) takes the diamond again Thursday at Colfax.
Nevada Union places 5th at SFL tourney
The Miners struggled Tuesday in the final Sierra Foothill League tournament at Catta Verdera Country Club.
NU finished in fifth place, shooting 426 as a team. Granite Bay was first with a team score of 389, Rocklin was second with a 398, Del Oro took third with a 424, Woodcreek was fourth with a 426 and Roseville was last with a 469.
Leading the Miners was Derek Frank shooting a 79 on the par-72 course. Andrew Puleo was next for NU with an 82, Logan Lowe shot an 82 as well, Bradley Carrion added an 87 and Bert Heinzelman rounded things out with a 96.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union falls to Rocklin in league opener (VIDEO)
- PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River runs over El Dorado, remains unbeaten
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union opens Sierra Foothill League play at Rocklin
- PREP FOOTBALL: Undefeated Bear River travels to El Dorado for final non-league bout
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union volleyball tops Bear River in cross-county bout
- UPDATE: I-80 re-opened after multi-vehicle wreck, fatality
- Sierra Nevada snow causes huge, fatal crash
- Grass Valley police: Spray painted, stolen vehicle leads to arrest
- Cause of death confirmed for Bridgeport hiker
- Running into trouble: Failed negotiations between canal-side property owner and Banner Mountain group spur lawsuit