Prep roundup: Nevada Union baseball teams knocks off Roseville
May 6, 2013
The Nevada Union baseball team completed a three-game Sierra Foothill League sweep of Roseville with a 7-4 victory Saturday at home.
Joey Souza started on the mound for the Miners and pitched four innings and allowed three runs on three hits as he struck out six and walked five batters. Nick Eccarius enetered the game as relief and went the final three innings to earn the save. He surrendered one run on three hits and recorded a strike out and a walk. Offensively NU's attack was led by Jakob Freele who finished 2-for-4 at the plate with an RBI. Travis Hansen and Ryan McCarthy each hit a double and Cody Gardner collected two RBIs. The Miners did most of the damage early as they rallied for six runs in the bottom of the second inning.
NU (12-12, 5-7 SFL) opens a three-game series against divison co-leader Woodcreek (9-3 SFL) today on the road.
JV: Bear River 3, Center 1
The Bear River junior varsity boys baseball team defeated Center 3-1 in Pioneer Valley League play Friday as starting pitcher Dayton Anderson kept a no-hitter alive into the seventh inning before surrendering a hit.
Offensively the Bruins scattered six hits with two of them coming from Justin Leonard including a double and they earned RBIs from Grae Golighty and Jacob Cross as they rallied for all three of their runs in the top half of the sixth inning. Anderson who pitched 6 1/3 innings and recorded four strike outs. Golighty came on as relief and picked up the save.
Bear River (3-6-1, 3-4 PVL) hosts Center for its final game of the season Wednesday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- CROSSFIT: Shaun Havard, Will Havard gear up for 2017 Reebok CrossFit Games
- ROLLER DERBY: Growing Outlaws team seeks sponsors, new members
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon set for September, proceeds will fund mammograms and scholarships
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- Following theft, beloved Nevada County local Kenny Bond to get new bike donated from local businesses
- Joseph Ward, accused of murder, appears in Nevada County Superior Court
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- CHP: Rough and Ready woman dies in ATV wreck
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville