Prep roundup: Nevada Union baseball teams knocks off Roseville
May 6, 2013
The Nevada Union baseball team completed a three-game Sierra Foothill League sweep of Roseville with a 7-4 victory Saturday at home.
Joey Souza started on the mound for the Miners and pitched four innings and allowed three runs on three hits as he struck out six and walked five batters. Nick Eccarius enetered the game as relief and went the final three innings to earn the save. He surrendered one run on three hits and recorded a strike out and a walk. Offensively NU's attack was led by Jakob Freele who finished 2-for-4 at the plate with an RBI. Travis Hansen and Ryan McCarthy each hit a double and Cody Gardner collected two RBIs. The Miners did most of the damage early as they rallied for six runs in the bottom of the second inning.
NU (12-12, 5-7 SFL) opens a three-game series against divison co-leader Woodcreek (9-3 SFL) today on the road.
JV: Bear River 3, Center 1
The Bear River junior varsity boys baseball team defeated Center 3-1 in Pioneer Valley League play Friday as starting pitcher Dayton Anderson kept a no-hitter alive into the seventh inning before surrendering a hit.
Offensively the Bruins scattered six hits with two of them coming from Justin Leonard including a double and they earned RBIs from Grae Golighty and Jacob Cross as they rallied for all three of their runs in the top half of the sixth inning. Anderson who pitched 6 1/3 innings and recorded four strike outs. Golighty came on as relief and picked up the save.
Bear River (3-6-1, 3-4 PVL) hosts Center for its final game of the season Wednesday.
Trending In: Sports
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- TRACK AND FIELD: Records fall at Union Hill Invitational
- INDYCAR: Q&A with reigning Indy 500 champ Alexander Rossi
- YOUTH TENNIS: Junior players earn doubles title at USTA tourney in Elk Grove
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Nevada County donor pledges to match contributions to Hospitality House
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say