Prep roundup: Nevada Union baseball falls to Bella Vista, FLC tennis trounces Golden Sierra
March 27, 2014
The Nevada Union baseball team had a tough time against Bella Vista Tuesday, losing to the undefeated Broncos, 10-0, in its final tune-up before the start of the Sierra Foothill League season.
The Broncos (7-0) beat NU handily, scoring in double digits and holding NU to just four hits.
For the Miners it was senior catcher Noah Arriaga, junior outfielder Brock Grininger, senior designated hitter Dylan Conger and junior first baseman Sammy Powell that tallied hits, but none led to runs.
The Miners close their nonleague season at 4-3, with wins over River Valley, Rio Americano, Woodland and Del Campo. Losses were to Yuba City, Oakmont and Bella Vista.
NU opens the SFL season at 4 p.m. Monday at home against Rocklin (3-4).
Recommended Stories For You
Forest Lake Christian 6, Golden Sierra 3
The Forest Lake Christian tennis team kept its record clean Tuesday, beating Golden Sierra, 6-3, to improve to 4-0 in the Sierra Delta League.
The Falcons No. 1 and No. 2 girls singles players led the way with No. 1 girl Jessica Burnett winning her match, 6-0, 6-1, and No. 2 girl Sydney Foliente winning her match 6-0, 6-0. Both Burnett and Foliente are undefeated this season.
The girls doubles team of Lauren Piner and Rachel Lupo took the No. 2 girls doubles match, 10-4.
On the boys side, No. 1 boys singles player Scott Gauthier won a tight match, 7-6 (9-7), 6-4. And, No. 2 boys doubles team of Austyn Smith and Jacob Shishler won their match 10-4.
The Falcons are back at it next week against San Juan.
Nevada Union 201, Roseville 227
Led by Andrew Puleo's career day at Alta Sierra Country Club, Nevada Union was able to earn its first Sierra Foothill League victory of the season.
Puleo shot a career best at the Miner's home course, notching an even par-36. Logan Lowe and Derek Frank both shot 38, Brad Carrion closed with a 44 and Corey Cezak rounded things out with a 45.
The Miners (1-3 SFL) hit the links again Thursday at Woodcreek.
JV: Del Oro 219, Nevada Union 231
Competing at Turkey Creek Golf Course in Lincoln, the Miners fell to SFL foe Del Oro by 12 strokes.
Michael Faudoa led Nevada Union with a team-low 40 on the front nine.
Colfax 224, Bear River 264
Colfax took it to the Bruins Tuesday, beating Bear River on its home course by 40 strokes.
Playing at the par-35 Lake of the Pines Country Club, Bear River was led by Ian Armstrong with a 47. Drew Cramer scored a 49, Ryan Wagner tallied a 55, Kris Edie finished with a 56 and James Lavelle rounded things out with a 57.
Bear River (1-3 Pioneer Valley League) is back at it Thursday at Lincoln.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union falls to Rocklin in league opener (VIDEO)
- PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River runs over El Dorado, remains unbeaten
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon brings community together, raises funds to fight breast cancer
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union volleyball tops Bear River in cross-county bout
- GET INTO GOLF: Breaking down the upcoming President’s Cup
- Running into trouble: Failed negotiations between canal-side property owner and Banner Mountain group spur lawsuit
- Eye on the Economy: Nevada County’s commerce lags behind in economic recovery (VIDEO)
- Cause of death confirmed for Bridgeport hiker
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Man returns home to find burners on, house ransacked, mysterious pants
- Sierra Nevada snow causes huge, fatal crash