Prep Roundup: Nevada Union alpine skiers edge Davis at Sugar Bowl, Bernadett leads NU girls snowboard team to 1st place finish
February 2, 2013
On an icy Sugar Bowl course Monday the Nevada Union alpine ski team knocked off Davis and notched a much needed slalom race victory.
The Miners' boys team, led by Peter McDowell's second-place finish, topped runner-up Del Oro, 208-183, and the girls team, led by Olivia McDowell's fifth-place finish, took third for a combined team score of 412.
Davis finished in second place with a team score of 386, Colfax was third with a score of 383 and Del Oro finished fourth with 220 points.
The boys team had four other racers finish in the top-10 with Peter McDowell. Robert Sekerak and Michael Sekerak placed fifth and sixth respectively for NU, and Ross Frank took seventh while Ethan Good grabbed eighth.
NU had three other skiers finish in the top-20 with Shawn Jordan taking 16th, Caspar Hendrickson finishing 17th, and Josh Harris placing 18th.
On the girls side, NU's Julia Ramirez finished sixth and Quinlan Grim came in seventh to give the Miners three girls in the top-10.
Katie King placed 11th, Emma Stratman was 13th, and Emma Potter's 19th-place finish rounded things out for the Miners.
With the win, NU pulls closer to Davis in the season standings and now trails the Blue Devils 1,629-1,570.
With only two races left in the season points are critical and the Miners will look to gain more ground on Davis Monday when they compete at Alpine Meadows.
Bernadett, Holland lead NU girls to top finish
The Nevada Union snowboard team, led by Drew Bernadett and Celine Holland, tallied a first place finish in the girls division Monday at Northstar.
The boys took third behind winner Davis and second-place Placer.
Bernadett finished in third-place in the girls competition with a two-race combined time of 2 minutes, 10.61 seconds, and Holland was fourth with a time of 2:12.19.
Nellie Steinhoff of Colfax took first with an impressive time of 2:05.92.
NU had three other girls finish in the top-20 with Faith Robichaud placing eighth, Shade Morgan taking 18th, and Michaela Haemming finishing in 20th.
On the boys side, Phillip Breaux placed seventh with a time of 2:20.04 to lead NU.
Placer's Jacob peek was the top-finisher with a time of 2:01.37, which was more than nine seconds faster than the second-place finisher Quinntin Butler of Tahoe-Truckee.
The Miners had two other top-20 racers with Andrew Scarafiotti placing 12th and Trent Jarvis coming in 16th.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- YOUTH SWIMMING: Northern Sierra makes splash in Redding
- GIVING BACK: Annual Lake Wildwood golf fundraiser aids injured vets
- PREP FOOTBALL: A look at several must see games in the upcoming season
- GOLF: Music in the Mountains tourney turns 25
- TRACK & FIELD: Sierra Gold athletes shine at National Masters Track and Field Championships
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Nevada City police: Suspect found with suspected drugs, $17K in cash
- ATV theft takes strange turn, leads authorities from Newtown Road to Penn Valley Drive
- Top 10 ways you know you’re a Grass Valley/Nevada City local