Prep Roundup: Nevada Union alpine ski team takes second at Northstar,
January 28, 2013
The Nevada Union alpine ski team went up to Northstar Monday and returned with a second-place finish, falling to Davis for the second straight week.
On the boys side, NU finished in second place with a score of 185, trailing Davis' first-place score by 23 points. The girls finished in third with a score of 190, trailing Colfax by 11 points and Davis by 23. The combined team score put NU in second overall with 375 points, 10 points ahead of third-place Colfax and 46 points behind the day's winner, Davis.
In the boys giant slalom race, Michael Sekerak was NU's top skier, finishing in fourth place. Caspar Hendrickson took ninth place for NU and Ross Frank finished in 12th place to give NU three racers in the top-15.
Del Oro's Travis Glynn was the top male racer with a two-race combined time of 1 minute, 52.76 seconds.
In the girls giant slalom race, NU's Quinlan Grim took seventh, Olivia McDowell finished eighth and Julia Ramirez took ninth place, to give NU three top-10 finishers.
Mikaela Lujan finished 14th and Glynn Baxter rounded things out for NU finishing in 21st place.
Teagan Santin, of Colfax, was the fastest on the day with the top time of 1:56.05.
"The kids are making great improvements in their techniques and this is allowing them to ski the courses faster," NU coach Ken Ramirez said in an email. "It is a fine line between control and out of control when you are pushing the line at 50-plus miles per hour on a pair of 180 centimeter skies."
NU braves the mountain again Monday when they race slalom at Sugarbowl.
NU girls take 1st at Boreal
Led by Drew Bernadett and Celine Holland the Nevada Union girls snowboard team took first-place overall at Boreal.
Bernadett led the girls with a third-place finish and Holland took fourth. Faith Robichaud placed eighth for NU, Morgan Shade finished 14th and Michaela Haemming took 16th.
Nelly Steinhoff of Colfax was the top female finisher with a time of 57.79.
On the boys side, it was Phillip Breaux leading the charge for NU with a seventh-place finish. Andrew Scarafiotti placed 15th and Trent Jarvis took 25th for NU.
The NU boys finished fourth overall.
The fastest male racer on the day was Jacob Pee, of Placer, with a time of 1:00.81.
In the open division, NU had Andre Breaux take ninth-place, Erik Whately finish 12th, and Jared Fernandez place 19th.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Maxwell helps Gold Sox to victory
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- GIVING BACK: Annual Lake Wildwood golf fundraiser aids injured vets
- PREP FOOTBALL: A look at several must see games in the upcoming season
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Crews gain control of Grizzly Fire as dry, hot conditions continue in Nevada County