Prep Roundup: Miners JV quiets Honkers
January 11, 2013
The Miners scored 39 points in the second half to break open a close game Thursday and take down the Honkers from Yuba City.
The Miners had four players finish in double figures and were led by Trevor Humpherys with 19 points. Owen Smith added 12, Daniel Carter also had 12, and Jovani Mendoza chipped in 10.
With the win, the Miners conclude their non-league season with a 10-7 record and open Sierra Foothill League play Thursday at Woodcreek.
JV: River city 67,
Bear River 66, OT
The Bruins lost a heartbreaker Thursday night by one point in overtime to River City.
Ben O’Lena led the Bruins with 15 points. Dave Maestrella and Brandon Murphy tossed in 14 and 13 points respectively.
Travis Whitehead led the Bruins in rebounding with 10 boards.
JV: Forest Lake Christian 42, Woodland Christian 17
The Lady Falcons made it two in a row in Central Valley California League play with a 25-point victory over Woodland Christian.
FLC got 20 points from Daniella Toschi, 12 from Andrea Lowry and 10 from Emily Negus in the win.
With the victory, FLC is 5-5 overall and 2-0 in the CVCL.
JV: Monterey Trail 70,
Nevada Union 47
The Lady Miners fell to the Lady Mustangs by 13 in their final non-league game before the SFL tips off.
At the half, NU trailed 32-30, but a 21-0 run by Monterey Trail in the third broke the game open.
Minus their top two rebounders, NU struggled on the glass all night, said NU head coach Rexanne Simpton.
NU’s Ella Walton scored 16 points and five steals in the loss, and Callie Kraus added nine points.
The Lady Miners take the court again Friday against Woodcreek.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (530) 477-4232. Deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union alumna Woodward pins down All-American status
- PREP BASKETBALL: Nevada Union, Bear River, Forest Lake Christian discover playoff paths
- CYCLING: Nevada City Dirt Classic, YBONC team up with USA Cycling
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian crushes Lutheran in 1st round of playoffs
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Bear River graduate Nerissa Eason dominant in first college starts
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- Lake Tahoe within 3 feet of legal limit
- UPDATE: Both lanes re-opened on Highway 49 in Grass Valley after sinkhole inspection
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping
- Nevada City’s Streicher House on the lookout for new location