Prep Roundup: Lady Miners wallop Foothill
December 20, 2012
The Nevada Union girls basketball team won its third straight game by more than 16 points Wednesday, obliterating Foothill, 57-29.
The Lady Miners led 29-8 at half time and cruised to the 28-point victory after that. Leading NU was senior Olivia Gulsvig with 11 points, Sydney Porter added 10 points and Nicole Lierly accounted for nine points. Porter leads the team in scoring with 13.3 points per game.
Sophomore standout Sammy DeHart chipped in nine points and Katie Johnson added six on a night in which all the active Lady Miners scored.
Nevada Union (6-3) takes the court again today against Sheldon at the Wine Valley Tournament in Napa.
JV: Nevada Union 45,
The Lady Miners bounced back from a tough loss Tuesday with a strong performance Wednesday against Foothill, winning in dominant fashion by 20 points.
Grace Paye led the Lady Miners with 12 points, seven rebounds and four steals. Callie Kraus chipped in 11 points and three assists, and Sarah Lundmark scored 11 points to go with seven rebounds, four assists and three steals.
Nevada Union (4-5) heads to the Bella Vista Tournament today to take on Rio Americano.
JV: Ponderosa 64, Nevada Union 54
The Miners came close but just couldn't hang on in their attempt to hand Ponderosa its first loss of the season.
The Miners (4-4) trailed by just three at half, 24-21 and by only four in the fourth, but the Bruins were too much down the stretch.
Lukas Sweigart had his best game of the season for NU with 24 points and was aided nicely by Toby Carter with 16 points.
The Miners will look to right the ship today when they host Vista del Lago.
Frosh: Nevada Union 64, Ponderosa 36
For the second time this season the Miners took down Ponderosa, this time by a 28-point margin.
Leading NU was Nick Ortiz, in his first start at point guard, with a team-high 13 points. David Menary added 10 points and played solid defense all night.
The Miners have a quick turn around as they play again today when they host Vista del Lago.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Maxwell helps Gold Sox to victory
- ROLLER DERBY: Growing Outlaws team seeks sponsors, new members
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon set for September, proceeds will fund mammograms and scholarships
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial
- Nevada County marijuana community advisory group learns about state pot laws