Prep Roundup: Lady Miners rout Edison
January 5, 2014
The Nevada Union girls junior varsity basketball squad put together an impressive performance Saturday, crushing Edison (Stockton) 56-22 as all the Lady Miners scored in a tremendous team effort.
Leading the way for the Lady Miners was Chelsea Rodriguez, who dropped in 11 points, including three from beyond the arc. Audrey Jacus also played a key role on offense tossing in eight points.
NU (10-2) hits the court again Tuesday for what head coach Gia Grim expects to be a competitive game at Pleasant Valley.
Forest Lake Christian 53,
Recommended Stories For You
The Forest Lake Christian boys hoopsters took care of business Saturday on their home court defeating Amador.
It was a collective effort for the Falcons, who opened a nine-point lead at the half and had three players score in the double digits. Senior Chase Augustino had a double-double, scoring a team-high 13 points to go with 11 boards, three steals and two assists. Senior Luke Jordan followed with 12 points and senior Tyler Young tossed in 10 points.
Forest Lake Christian (11-2) hosts Sac Waldorf in its first league game Tuesday.
Inderkum 64, Bear River 57
The Bear River boys basketball squad hung tough in a tight game but couldn't pull out the win against Inderkum on Saturday.
The Bruins were led by senior Braden Duncan, who tossed in 24 points. Charlie Espinoza and Ben O'Lena each dropped in nine points. Inderkum led 14-13 after the first quarter but then pushed its lead to 11 points at the break. The Bruins pulled to within seven, but that's as close as they would get. The team's traded buckets each scoring 18 in the fourth quarter.
Bear River (8-4) plays Tuesday at Vacaville.
JV: Shasta 40, Nevada Union 31
The Nevada Union boys junior varsity basketball team came up short against Shasta High School in the third-place game at the Pleasant Valley Tournament.
The Miners, who were in the thick of it with the game tied 16-16 at the half, never found an offensive rhythm. Chance Brown scored a team-high eight points and earned an all-tournament selection. Kross Corbett added seven points and Nick Ortiz chipped in six.
NU (8-6) plays at Oakmont on Tuesday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP FOOTBALL: Colfax soars to win over rival Bear River (VIDEO)
- PREP FOOTBALL: Miners struggle offensively, fall to Grizzlies
- PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River, Colfax face off in critical league bout
- YOUTH FOOTBALL: Junior Miners start fast, top Rio Linda
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union set to face Granite Bay at Hooper Stadium
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Truckee police: Man drugged victim, raped her
- Grass Valley sinkhole’s impacts on creek will remain
- ‘Lucky to be alive:’ Man escapes fire, returns to find tree on house
- Nevada County staff recommend no Dollar General at Rough and Ready Highway site