Prep Roundup: Lady Miners rout Edison
January 5, 2014
The Nevada Union girls junior varsity basketball squad put together an impressive performance Saturday, crushing Edison (Stockton) 56-22 as all the Lady Miners scored in a tremendous team effort.
Leading the way for the Lady Miners was Chelsea Rodriguez, who dropped in 11 points, including three from beyond the arc. Audrey Jacus also played a key role on offense tossing in eight points.
NU (10-2) hits the court again Tuesday for what head coach Gia Grim expects to be a competitive game at Pleasant Valley.
Forest Lake Christian 53,
The Forest Lake Christian boys hoopsters took care of business Saturday on their home court defeating Amador.
It was a collective effort for the Falcons, who opened a nine-point lead at the half and had three players score in the double digits. Senior Chase Augustino had a double-double, scoring a team-high 13 points to go with 11 boards, three steals and two assists. Senior Luke Jordan followed with 12 points and senior Tyler Young tossed in 10 points.
Forest Lake Christian (11-2) hosts Sac Waldorf in its first league game Tuesday.
Inderkum 64, Bear River 57
The Bear River boys basketball squad hung tough in a tight game but couldn’t pull out the win against Inderkum on Saturday.
The Bruins were led by senior Braden Duncan, who tossed in 24 points. Charlie Espinoza and Ben O’Lena each dropped in nine points. Inderkum led 14-13 after the first quarter but then pushed its lead to 11 points at the break. The Bruins pulled to within seven, but that’s as close as they would get. The team’s traded buckets each scoring 18 in the fourth quarter.
Bear River (8-4) plays Tuesday at Vacaville.
JV: Shasta 40, Nevada Union 31
The Nevada Union boys junior varsity basketball team came up short against Shasta High School in the third-place game at the Pleasant Valley Tournament.
The Miners, who were in the thick of it with the game tied 16-16 at the half, never found an offensive rhythm. Chance Brown scored a team-high eight points and earned an all-tournament selection. Kross Corbett added seven points and Nick Ortiz chipped in six.
NU (8-6) plays at Oakmont on Tuesday.
Trending In: Sports
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union alumna Woodward pins down All-American status
- CYCLING: Nevada City Dirt Classic, YBONC team up with USA Cycling
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian crushes Lutheran in 1st round of playoffs
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union alums Maxwell, Houlihan shine on diamond
- PREP WRESTLING: 2 Bruins claim DIV championships
- Lake Tahoe within 3 feet of legal limit
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- 16 people evacuated from Cascade Shores area
- ‘Spread the love’ event in downtown Grass Valley hits unsuspecting passersby with flowers