Prep roundup: Lady Bruins golf finishes 4th, NU volleyball falls to Rocklin
October 21, 2013
With the Pioneer Valley League championship already in the bag, the Bear River girls golf team traveled to the par-71 Empire Ranch Golf Club in Folsom to face off against the best Division III teams in the Sac-Joaquin Section.
In the Divisional playoffs, the Lady Bruins finished fourth, behind D-III champ Whitney (416), runner-up Inkerdum (515) and third-place Mira Loma (518). Bear River finished with a team score of 524.
The day's medalist was Whitney's Kelsey Ulep with a 7-under-par 64. Ulep's score was 18 strokes better than the second-place finisher.
For Bear River, Jessica Pisenti shot a 90 and earned a spot in the next round of the playoffs as an individual. Cassie Smith shot a 96 for Bear River, Shelby Lampson finished with a 99, Olivia Naves closed with a 115, Malone Pearson tallied a 124, and Olivia Naves rounded things out with a 131.
Pisenti will play again Monday in the Masters competition at The Reserve in Stockton.
Rocklin 3, Nevada Union 1
The Lady Miners gave Rocklin all they could handle Monday night at Nevada Union, but in the end, the Thunder rolled home with a four-set victory, 32-30, 16-25, 25-19, 25-22.
In the loss, NU's Emily Segel exploded for 17 kills, 12 digs and two aces. Melanie O'Brien tallied nine kills and two blocks, Amanda Roberts also had nine kills, Hannah Bryant notched seven kills and two blocks, Delaney Smith chipped in eight kills, eight digs and three blocks, and Lindsay Meyer led the Lady Miners with 46 assists.
NU (15-12, 2-4 Sierra Foothill League) takes the court against Wednesday against Granite Bay.
Bruins compete at Bronco Invitational
The Bear River Bruin cross country team competed in the Bronco Invitational Saturday with one runner taking home a top-five finish.
Patrick Gillis, running in the Small Schools sophomore race (3,400 meters), finished fourth with a time of 12 minutes and 18 seconds.
In the varsity girls Small School race (5,000m), Sierra Mitchell finished 18th out of 154 competitors with a time of 21:11. Viviana Mitchell (21:42) finished in 28th for Bear River, and Olivia Kirks (28:13) and Taylor Autry also competed foe the Bruins.
In the freshmen boys Small Schools race (3,400m), Bear River's Justin Dooley finished 50th with a time of 15:28. Taylor Sacks (18:37) finished 79th for Bear River in the frosh/soph girls Small Schools race (3,400m).
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232. Deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- TRACK AND FIELD: Records fall at Union Hill Invitational
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union grad Josh Roenicke having strong season in Mexico
- YOUTH TENNIS: Junior players earn doubles title at USTA tourney in Elk Grove
- INDYCAR: Rossi qualifies on the front row for Indy 500
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier