Prep roundup: Lady Bruins close regular season strong, earn share of PVL title
February 11, 2013
The Bear River girls basketball team closed the regular season Thursday night with a 24-point thrashing of Center.
The Lady Bruins got off to a fast start and never let the Lady Cougars back in it, winning 65-41.
Sarah Hagar and Kaitlyn Reina led the Lady Bruins with 12 points each, Savannah Welz and Teryn Rath each added 11 points and Jen Alberts chipped in eight in the win.
Rath led the team in rebounding with 14.
Bear River (23-3, 8-2 Pioneer Valley League) finishes the season in a three way tie with Colfax and Placer, and will share the PVL title.
The Lady Bruins will have the next 12 days off before the playoffs tip off Jan. 19.
Recommended Stories For You
JV: Bear River 44, Center 27
The Lady Bruins closed the season out with a perfect 10-0 record in the PVL Thursday, beating Center by 17.
Malone Pearson led the Lady Bruins (20-3, 10-0 PVL) with 16 points, Savannah Wirth added 10 points and Kaeley Rath finished with eight points and 10 rebounds.
JV: Nevada Union 42, Del Oro 40
The Lady Miners handed the Lady Golden Eagles their second loss of the season Thursday and their first in Sierra Foothill League play.
Nevada Union (14-9, 6-3 SFL) got big free throws down the stretch from Grace Paye and Callie Kraus as they held on to beat Del Oro at home.
Ella Walton led NU with 12 points, Kraus scored 11 points and had six rebounds, and Sarah Lundmark, who pulled down the final rebound, finished with eight points and 11 rebounds in the win.
Freshmen: Del Oro 59,
Nevada Union 28
The Lady Miners just couldn't keep up with the Lady Golden Eagles Thursday night at Albert Ali Gymnasium, falling by 31 points.
Mellisa Wilcoxen led NU with seven points and six rebounds, Sofia VanValkenberg added six points and four rebounds and Rachaiel McKnight led the defense with five steals.
NU has its final game of the season Monday when it hosts Roseville.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU graduate Tanner Vallejo wraps up first tackles in NFL
- DISC GOLF: Local disc golfer Gregg Barsby talks about life on the pro tour
- YOUTH GOLF: Local golfers impress at Truckee-Tahoe Tour Championship
- PREP FOOTBALL: Humphers returns to coaching, joins River Valley staff
- PREP FOOTBALL: Digging into the Miners’ 2017 schedule
- Nevada County coroner: San Francisco man disappears while swimming in South Yuba River
- Love at first bite: A chance pit stop on a country road turned into a booming business for Ajay Avery
- Nevada County coroner: Homicide victim Brian Sharp had meth in his system
- Grass Valley’s Culture Shock Yogurt prepares to close downtown location
- Grass Valley family in need of financial help for son’s recovery from liver transplant — and his donor