Prep roundup: Lady Bruins 1-win away from perfect PVL season
February 15, 2014
The Bear River girls basketball team is just one win away from a perfect run through the Pioneer Valley League.
The Lady bruins beat Foothill by, 58-28, to improve to 9-0 in the PVL and 22-2 overall.
Leading the Lady Bruins was Kaitlyn Reina with 13 points and 11 rebounds. It was her 10th double-double of the season.
Senior Jenn Alberts added 12 points, Maddi Dunn put in seven points, and Savannah Wirth had six points and five assists in the win.
The Lady Bruins have won 15-straight and haven’t dropped a game since Dec. 20.
Bear River will look to conclude the PVL with a perfect record when they host Center Monday.
JV: Foothill 31, Bear River 21
The Lady Bruins played tough defense, but couldn’t get enough shots to fall as they fell to Foothill Thursday night.
Kaitlyn Solomon and Summer Brown each scored six to lead Bear River.
The loss drops the Lady Bruins to 4-5 in PVL play. They conclude their season Monday against Center.
Frosh: Bear River 35,
Led by Alyssa Pulkinghorn’s 18 points, the Lady Bruins topped Foothill Thursday to improve to 8-1 in PVL play.
Vivian Hamilton added eight points to help the Lady Bruins to victory.
Bear River wraps its season Monday against Center.
JV: Nevada Union 46, Roseville 38
The Lady Miners are still in the hunt for a Sierra Foothill League title after beating Roseville Friday night.
At 18-7 overall and 7-2 in league play Nevada Union needs to win Monday at Del Oro and get some help elsewhere in the league to create a tie at the top of the league between Del Oro, Woodcreek and NU.
In Friday’s win, the Lady Miners were led by Ella Walton with 12 points, including three 3-pointers. Shawna Latter added nine points and had a team-high 12 rebounds. Madison Lee scored eight points and grabbed six rebounds, Casey Baldwin added seven points and Ashtyn Willis tallied six points and five boards.
JV: Nevada Union 71, Roseville 65
The Miners built an early lead Thursday, then held off the Tigers Thursday to claim their third SFL win.
Nevada Union had built a 25-7 first quarter lead, but saw that slowly whittled away as Roseville took a 58-56 lead with four minutes left in the fourth. The Miners would answer back and eventually take the game by six.
Nevada Union had all five starters score in double figures with Chance Brown scoring 19 and gabbing 11 rebounds, Kross Corbett netting 16, Gary Menary with 14, Nick Ortiz notching 11, and Bo Perkins adding 11.
The Miners (12-13, 3-6 SFL) will close the season Tuesday at Del Oro.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP BASKETBALL: Nevada Union, Bear River, Forest Lake Christian discover playoff paths
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union alumna Woodward pins down All-American status
- CYCLING: Nevada City Dirt Classic, YBONC team up with USA Cycling
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian crushes Lutheran in 1st round of playoffs
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Bear River graduate Nerissa Eason dominant in first college starts
- UPDATE: Both lanes re-opened on Highway 49 in Grass Valley after sinkhole inspection
- Nevada City Planning Commission OK’s outdoor pot grows
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- Nevada County homeless man given second chance with previous job
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping