Prep roundup: Kenes, Smith nab PVL tennis title
April 27, 2013
In Jeff Carrow’s 14 years of coaching tennis, he’s only had one league champion.
The Bear River head coach can double that number now as Lauren Kenes and Cassie Smith teamed up to win the Pioneer Valley League girls doubles championship.
In a three-set battle, Kenes and Smith, who played as singles during the regular season, won 6-2, 3-6, 6-2.
The win sends the two onto the Sac-Joaquin Section tournament Thursday.
Andrew Leonard, Bear River’s No. 1 boys singles player, will be joining Kenes and Smith at the section tournament, qualifying in the boys singles division.
Leonard, who had lost two matches all season leading up to the PVL tourney, earned the right to compete at the section tournament by making the PVL championship match. Leonard lost the title match, 6-4, 6-7, 6-1, to Andrew Carducci of Placer. It was Leonard’s third loss of the season, all of which came against Carducci.
JV: Nevada Union 10,
Granite Bay 8
The Lady Miners notched their first Sierra Foothill win of the season Friday, taking down the Grizzlies by two.
Nevada Union’s bats remained hot, tallying 10 hits along the way to a 10 run day.
Freshman Ella Walton led the way with two hits and three RBIs, Kendall Bivona added a double and two RBIs, Devinity Buendia added a hit, an RBI and scored twice, Julia Riggs accounted for two hits and two RBIs, and rounding things out was Eleanor Boling with two hits and an RBI.
Bailey Kennedy got the start for NU, throwing four innings, allowing six runs and striking out four.
Eden Baker came in to get the win, pitching three innings with two runs given up and one strikeout.
The Lady Miners are back at it Wednesday against Del Oro.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union alumna Woodward pins down All-American status
- PREP BASKETBALL: Nevada Union, Bear River, Forest Lake Christian discover playoff paths
- CYCLING: Nevada City Dirt Classic, YBONC team up with USA Cycling
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian crushes Lutheran in 1st round of playoffs
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Bear River graduate Nerissa Eason dominant in first college starts
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- Lake Tahoe within 3 feet of legal limit
- UPDATE: Both lanes re-opened on Highway 49 in Grass Valley after sinkhole inspection
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping
- Nevada City’s Streicher House on the lookout for new location