Prep roundup: Forest Lake Christian holds on to top Sac Waldorf
February 2, 2014
In a tight Central Valley California League battle between Forest Lake Christian and Sacramento Waldorf, it was the Falcons flying away with a road win, 61-60, Friday night to keep their league record clean.
Forest Lake Christian (19-2, 8-0 CVCL) was put through it's toughest test of the season, but when it was all said and done, the Falcons had pushed their CVCL lead to two games over Woodland Christian.
In the game against the Sac Waldorf Waves, the Falcons jumped out to a 27-18 lead at half time, pushed their advantage to 15 at one point, but were forced to weather the Wave comeback, eking out a one-point win.
Leading the Falcons was senior Chase Augustino with 17 points, six steals, and four rebounds. Junior Christian Dethlefs scored 16 points to go with nine rebounds. Senior Luke Jordan added 14 points and nabbed five steals, and J.J. Griffiths also grifted five steals and scored six points.
The big force for Sac Waldorf was senior big man Dylan McElligot, with 17 points and 19 rebounds.
The Falcons hit the court again at 8 p.m. Tuesday when they face off with the CVCL's second-place team Woodland Christian (14-9, 6-2 CVCL).
Forest Lake Christian 53, Sac Waldorf 51
The Lady Falcons avenged an earlier season loss Friday, topping CVCL foe Sac Walforf by two.
Forest Lake Christian had taken a 30-24 lead into halftime, but relented that lead in the fourth only to rally back for the win.
Junior Lauren Piner led FLC with 24 points, senior Emily Pearce scored 17, Josey Poppin addd six, and junior Haley Adams played great defense in addition to scoring four points.
With the win the Lady Falcons (15-6, 5-3 CVCL) are now just ½ game back of second place in the CVCL.
FLC is back at it at 5:30 p.m Tuesday when it faces league leader Woodland Christian (18-2, 8-0 CVCL).
Four place for NU at Del Oro tourney
The Miners took eight wrestlers to the Del Oro tournament over the weekend and had half of them place in their respective weight classes.
Zachariah Stanton pinned down a first place, Caleb Patterson took third, Dusty Lamoly also placed third and Matt Johnson, wrestling up a weight class at 154-pounds rather than 147-pounds, took fifth.
The Miners hit the mat again Wednesday when they travel to Rocklin.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- FORD: A look back at the Sacramento Kings’ best and worst draft day decisions
- MOTO: Local rider Anson Maloney gears up for International Six Day Enduro race in France
- CYCLING: Riekert wins mens pro race at 57th annual Nevada City Classic
- INDYCAR: Alexander Rossi unveils new line of merchandise
- NBA DRAFT: Kings take De’Aaron Fox, Justin Jackson and Harry Giles in 1st round
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case
- Man burned in suspected butane honey oil lab explosion sent to hospital, authorities say
- Vehicle fire: Fire units battling blaze at Hwy 20 and Poker Flat Road (Video)
- Marijuana grow murder case in Nevada County judge’s hands