Prep Roundup: Falcons soar past Victory Christian
February 8, 2013
The Forest Lake Christian boys basketball team grabbed a 20-point first-half lead over the Victory Christian Vikings Friday night and never let them back in it as the Falcons cruised to a 65-52 victory.
Luke Jordan led the Falcons with 16 points, hitting 4-of-6 3-point attempts, Jesse Poppin added a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds, Chase Augustino chipped in 10 points, and Brandon Camacho added eight in the win.
The Falcons (16-7, 6-3 Central Valley California League) will look to keep the wins coming Tuesday when they travel to face Cristo Rey.
Rocklin 80, Nevada Union 61
The Miners lost their sixth straight Sierra Foothill League game Friday night, losing to Rocklin by 19.
"They set a pace that we bought into early and then struggled to maintain that pace," NU head coach Jeff Dellis said.
Recommended Stories For You
Nevada Union (8-16, 1-6 SFL) was led by senior Cody Gardner's 12 points and got strong efforts from Jesse Dunbar and Garrett O'Callaghan in the loss.
The Miners will hit the hardwood again at 7 p.m. Wednesday when they face league-leading Granite Bay (16-7, 5-1 SFL).
Freshman: Nevada Union 77, Rocklin 75
The Miners gave up a nine-point lead to Rocklin in the fourth quarter Friday night, but Jahn Chensee saved the day, sinking a game-winning bucket at the buzzer.
Chensee finished the night with 16 points, Dave Menary scored a team-high 19, and Kross Corbett added 15 in the win.
With the victory, NU improves to 18-6 overall and 3-4 in the SFL. The Miners take the court again Wednesday when they take on Granite Bay.
Foothill 54, Bear River 42
The Bruins continue to struggle in Pioneer Valley League play, falling Friday night to Foothill by 12.
Bear River (14-9, 1-6 PVL) lost its sixth league game in seven league matchups but still remains one win away from a playoff berth.
Justin Beskeen led Bear River with 30 points, and Travis Anderson notched seven, but the rest of the Bruins could muster only five points in the loss.
The Bruins will take the court again Wednesday when they host Placer.
JV: Foothill 48, Bear River 38
The Bruins fell on the road to Foothill Friday night, losing by 10.
Bear River was led by Dave Mastrella with 12 points, and Travis Whitehead added eight in the loss.
The Bruins get a few days off before Wednesday's matchup with Placer.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- DISC GOLF: Local disc golfer Gregg Barsby talks about life on the pro tour
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU graduate Tanner Vallejo wraps up first tackles in NFL
- PREP FOOTBALL: Digging into the Miners’ 2017 schedule
- PREP FOOTBALL: Humphers returns to coaching, joins River Valley staff
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union grad Tanner Vallejo injured in preseason opener
- Nevada County coroner: San Francisco man disappears while swimming in South Yuba River
- Love at first bite: A chance pit stop on a country road turned into a booming business for Ajay Avery
- Conner Milkey accused in 2016 death of Nevada County Jail inmate
- Felony manslaughter filed in fatal Grass Valley ATV crash
- Nevada County coroner: Homicide victim Brian Sharp had meth in his system