Prep Roundup: Callas wins gold, NU finishes 7th
January 11, 2013
Jonny Callas led the NU wrestling team this weekend winning the 1st place championship gold belt buckle at the Nor Cal tournament in Anderson, while the Miners finished 7th out of 46 teams. Other wrestlers who placed were Will Sumner finishing 3rd, Keaton Richards and Nate Story finishing 6th and Sawyer Mosel finishing 8th.
"The Beast from the North is one of the toughest tournaments in Northern California, some teams had over 30 guys there," said head coach Gary Sumner. "For us to show up with eight, have five of them medal and come home with a top 10 finish is fantastic."
]The Miners also took five of their junior varsity wrestlers to Vista Del Lago and all five placed. Medalists were Earl English and Tristan Santos finishing 3rd, Matt Johnson finishing 5th, and Kristian Power and Willie Thacker earning 7th place medals.
“Hopefully, within just a very few days, the fans can get back to watching people who are skating, and not the two of us.”
— Donald Fehr,
Executive Director NHL Players Association
Bear River 59, Inderkum 56
Bear River came away with an impressive victory Saturday at Inderkum. The game was deadlocked most of the first half with the Bruins trailing by one at the break. After falling behind by 10 points in the third quarter, Bear River rallied to take control down the stretch.
The Bruins offensive attack was led by Justin Beskeen who finished with 15 points and five boards. Nick Bachus also stepped up and dropped in 12 points. Michael Raigoza contributed 11 points and five assists in the winning effort as every Bruin tossed in a score.
Bear River (13-3) opens Pioneer Valley League play at Lincoln Thursday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- CYCLING: Riekert wins mens pro race at 57th annual Nevada City Classic
- INDYCAR: Alexander Rossi unveils new line of merchandise
- Nevada County race team competes in The Great Race
- FORD: A look back at the Sacramento Kings’ best and worst draft day decisions
- As a player, coach and administrator Calkins left a lasting impression
- 2 men accused of having exploding devices in western Nevada County
- Heat wave comes to Nevada County with the first day of summer (Video)
- Nevada, Placer county rivers claim 2 lives over the weekend
- Mindy Oberne: The real deal on SB 562, the single-payer legislation
- Placer County authorities release ID of victim in fatal Friday wreck