Prep Roundup: Bruins win D-IV Challenge opener
January 1, 2013
The Bear River boys basketball team opened the Union Mine Division IV Challenge with a convincing 72-54 win over Argonaut.
The Bruins (9-1) were led by Justin Beskeen with 27 points and seven rebounds. Travis Anderson added 16 points, and Braden Duncan chipped in 15 in the victory.
Bear River hits the court again at 4:30 p.m. today in a second-round matchup with Mesa Verde.
JV: Nevada Union 76, Natomas 33
The Miners had no problem with the Nighthawks Friday at Albert Ali Gymnasium, cruising to a 43-point victory.
NU's Joe Ten Eyck led the Miner offense with 15 points, Lukas Sweigart added 14, and Trevor Humpherys scored 10 in the win.
The Miners (8-4) get back to it Thursday when they head to the Roseville JV Tournament.
Frosh: Nevada Union 66,
Yuba City 50
The Miners continued their impressive start to the 2012-13 season with a 16-point victory over Yuba City.
Nevada Union (11-2) was led by David Menary with 18 points and Dylan Moreno with 10. Moreno also had an impressive rebounding night, said NU coach Guy Greever.
NU takes the court again Thursday at the Roseville Tournament.
Frosh: Colfax 41,
Nevada Union 40
In a tightly contested battle at Albert Ali Gymnasium Thursday night, the Lady Miners fell by a point to Colfax.
Chelsea Rodriguez led the offensive charge for NU with 12 points and four assists to go with three steals. NU's Natalie Weaver added nine points and three steals, and Audrey Jacus scored seven points and pulled down seven rebounds.
The Lady Miners hit the hardwood again Saturday when they host Christian Brothers.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at (530) 477-4232. Deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- COLLEGE BOUND: Nevada Union student athletes make college commitments
- TRACK AND FIELD: Records fall at Union Hill Invitational
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union track and field qualifies four to Masters Meet
- INDYCAR: Rossi qualifies on the front row for Indy 500
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier