Prep Roundup: Bruins win D-IV Challenge opener
January 1, 2013
The Bear River boys basketball team opened the Union Mine Division IV Challenge with a convincing 72-54 win over Argonaut.
The Bruins (9-1) were led by Justin Beskeen with 27 points and seven rebounds. Travis Anderson added 16 points, and Braden Duncan chipped in 15 in the victory.
Bear River hits the court again at 4:30 p.m. today in a second-round matchup with Mesa Verde.
JV: Nevada Union 76, Natomas 33
The Miners had no problem with the Nighthawks Friday at Albert Ali Gymnasium, cruising to a 43-point victory.
NU's Joe Ten Eyck led the Miner offense with 15 points, Lukas Sweigart added 14, and Trevor Humpherys scored 10 in the win.
The Miners (8-4) get back to it Thursday when they head to the Roseville JV Tournament.
Frosh: Nevada Union 66,
Yuba City 50
The Miners continued their impressive start to the 2012-13 season with a 16-point victory over Yuba City.
Nevada Union (11-2) was led by David Menary with 18 points and Dylan Moreno with 10. Moreno also had an impressive rebounding night, said NU coach Guy Greever.
NU takes the court again Thursday at the Roseville Tournament.
Frosh: Colfax 41,
Nevada Union 40
In a tightly contested battle at Albert Ali Gymnasium Thursday night, the Lady Miners fell by a point to Colfax.
Chelsea Rodriguez led the offensive charge for NU with 12 points and four assists to go with three steals. NU's Natalie Weaver added nine points and three steals, and Audrey Jacus scored seven points and pulled down seven rebounds.
The Lady Miners hit the hardwood again Saturday when they host Christian Brothers.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (530) 477-4232. Deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP BASKETBALL: Bear River, Forest Lake Christian girls advance; Nevada Union bounced
- FORD: Sacramento Kings need culture change in front office
- NORDIC SKI: Lady Miners place 2nd at state championships
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union alums Maxwell, Houlihan shine on diamond
- TRACK & FIELD: Kays/Ostrom Invite brings hundreds to Hooper Stadium
- Nevada County homicide: Detective says suspect confided about shooting
- Grass Valley brew pub details emerge
- Lake Tahoe within 3 feet of legal limit
- Alta Sierra road erodes after water main break
- Jerry Karnow to receive Public Safety Award from the Nevada County Law Enforcement and Fire Prevention Council