Prep roundup: Bruins, Miners fall in league games
January 21, 2014
The Bear River boys basketball team hosted Pioneer Valley League foe Lincoln Tuesday night, falling to the Fighting Zebras, 59-35.
The Bruins protected the ball well, said Bear River assistant coach Matt MacDonald, but they just couldn't get their shots to fall.
The only Bruin to break double digits in scoring was senior Jake Sypnicki with 12 points, all of which came from beyond the arc.
Lincoln's senior standout, Marcus Salgado, opened the game with three straight 3-pointers to grab an early 9-0 lead. Bear River hung around for much of the first half, but Lincoln started to pull away just before halftime, said MacDonald.
The Bruins hit the road for their next PVL opponent, facing Foothill Thursday.
Del Oro 67, Nevada Union 43
Facing the top team in the Sierra Foothill League, the Miners dropped their first of two meetings with Del Oro (20-1, 4-0 SFL) Tuesday.
Turnovers hampered Nevada Union in the first half, and Del Oro's size advantage wore them down in the second half, said NU head coach Jeff Dellis.
Senior Nolan Stefani led the Miners with 10 points, including a pair of 3-pointers. Senior Garrett O'Callaghan added nine points in the loss.
Nevada Union (7-14, 1-3 SFL) gets a couple days off before facing Roseville Friday in the Miners' homecoming game.
JV: Del Oro 52, Nevada Union 49
The Miners fought tooth and nail with the Golden Eagles Tuesday and had a chance to tie at the end, but when the buzzer sounded, NU was on the short end.
It was the Miners' fourth straight loss in SFL play.
Chance Brown led NU with 14 points and 10 rebounds.
Freshman Gary Menary scored 13 points, including three 3-pointers in the fourth quarter. Kross Corbett added nine points.
The Miners will look to tally their first league win Thursday when they take on Roseville at home.
Forest Lake Christian 66, Foresthill 43
Luke Jordan scored 22 points Tuesday night, helping the Falcons to a 23-point win over Central Valley California League foe Foresthill.
The win moves Forest Lake Christian to 16-2 overall and 5-0 in CVCL play.
Christian Dethlefs added 10 points for FLC, Chase Augustino tallied nine, and Kyle Soria chipped in eight in the win.
The Falcons are back at it Friday when they hit the road for a matchup with Victory Christian.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232. Deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- YOUTH SWIMMING: Starnes, Nattrass lead impressive showing at South Western Championships
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union alumnus Logan Lowe wins 1st collegiate tourney
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union volleyball tops Folsom for 5th straight win
- PREP ROUNDUP: Miners impress at LeFebvre Relays
- PREP BASEBALL: Bear River honors Joe Rantz at home opener
- Serious drug charges dropped after tests show suspected cocaine was flour
- Shooter at large after shooting at Monterey County school
- Rickie Lynn Abel’s memorial service set for Saturday
- Rideout cuts to save $3 million include cutting ties with Nevada County
- Mural proposed for downtown Grass Valley faces hurdles