Prep Roundup: Bruins fall at Foothill
January 24, 2014
It just wasn't Bear River's night as the boys basketball squad was outplayed down the stretch and lost 69-38 Thursday night at Foothill.
The Bruins kept things close early, trailing just 22-17 at the half, but couldn't put a lid on Foothill's offensive attack the rest of the way. Bear River was led by senior Jake Sypnicki, who finished with 12 points, which came on four 3-pointers. Charlie Espinoza also contributed nine points.
The Bruins (8-8, 0-3 PVL) will look to bounce back on the hardwood Tuesday at Placer.
JV: Nevada Union 58,
Trailing 17-15 after the first quarter and 33-27 at the break, the Miners dug deep and turned things around in the second half to pull out a hard-fought win Thursday against Roseville.
Recommended Stories For You
NU was led by Bo Perkins, who dropped in 17 points, including some clutch free-throws shooting 7-of-10 from the foul line. Chance Brown played an effective role earning a double-double, ending with 16 points and 10 boards. Gary Menary also added a double-double of his own with 10 points and 11 rebounds, and sunk two clutch 3s in the second half to help his team pull away. Nick Ortiz was also phenomenal on defense and helped swing the tempo back in NU's favor.
The Miners (10-11, 1-4 SFL) play Jan. 31 at Woodcreek.
Frosh: Nevada Union 57,
The Lady Miners controlled the game start to finish and tacked on to their lead for dominating win Thursday night against Roseville.
NU was led by Avery Dehlez, who had an incredible game scoring 18 points to go with 10 boards and five blocks. Shay Costanza was also a big contributer tossing in 13 points to go with five assists and four steals.
The Miners (17-6, 4-1 SFL) are back on the court Thursday at Woodcreek.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232. Deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union falls to Rocklin in league opener
- PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River runs over El Dorado, remains unbeaten
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union opens Sierra Foothill League play at Rocklin
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union volleyball tops Bear River in cross-county bout
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon brings community together, raises funds to fight breast cancer
- Running into trouble: Failed negotiations between canal-side property owner and Banner Mountain group spur lawsuit
- Sierra Nevada snow causes huge, fatal crash
- Cause of death confirmed for Bridgeport hiker
- Grass Valley police: Spray painted, stolen vehicle leads to arrest
- Water and compliance issues bring cannabis advocates, county officials to the table