Prep roundup: Beskeen’s 28 not enough against Colfax
February 11, 2013
The Bear River boys basketball team battled back from a 16-point second half deficit Friday night at Colfax, but just couldn't get over the hump, falling 62-56.
The Bruins (14-11, 1-8 Pioneer Valley League) were led by Justin Beskeen's 28 points, and had seven others score, but none in double digits.
Bear River is still in playoff contention, but would need a win in their final PVL game Tuesday at Center.
JV: Bear River 46, Colfax 44
The Bruins took down the Falcons in a tightly contested battle that came down to the wire.
Bear River's Brandon Murphy hit the go ahead bucket with 2.7 seconds left in the game, and then the Bruins hung on defensively to close it out.
Bear River was led Josh Davis and Murphy scoring 13 points each and both knocked down key 3-pointers. Travis Whitehead also contributed with eight big points.
The Bruins are 5-4 in the PVL and close out league play Tuesday at Center.
Del Oro 66, Nevada Union 52
The Miners are still in search of their second Sierra Foothill League win after falling Friday at home to Del Oro by 14.
Lucas Vojak led NU with 13 points, Jason Mickel scored 12, including a pair of 3-pointers, and Elliot Fournier chipped in 11 in the loss.
NU (8-18, 1-8 SFL) has one league game left, and will host Roseville Tuesday.
JV: Del Oro 60, Nevada Union 45
The Miners couldn't hold on to a slight halftime edge and fell Friday night at home to Del Oro.
Trevor Humpherys was the high man for NU with 13, and Daniel Carter and Owen Smith each added 10 in the loss.
NU will take the court for the last time this season Tuesday when it hosts Roseville.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Maxwell helps Gold Sox to victory
- ROLLER DERBY: Growing Outlaws team seeks sponsors, new members
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon set for September, proceeds will fund mammograms and scholarships
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial
- Nevada County marijuana community advisory group learns about state pot laws