Prep roundup: Bear River tennis nets 1st win of season
March 20, 2013
The Bear River tennis team tallied its first win of the season Tuesday and in dramatic fashion no less.
The Bruins were trailing 4-1 after five matches but rallied to win the final four to beat Lincoln 5-4 in both teams' Pioneer Valley League opener.
Bear River's Andrew Leonard remained unbeaten in 2013 with a thrilling three-set win, 6-3, 3-6, 7-5.
Lily Carrow and Sofie Cutler also kept their season record clean with a 6-4, 6-4 win in the girls doubles match.
In other doubles action, Bear River's Kristen Dietrich and McKayle Miller dominated their match, winning 6-0, 6-0. In mixed doubles, Kaity Kelly and Hayden Moore breezed through their match 6-1, 6-2.
Cassie Smith also won her singles match, 6-2, 7-5 to help Bear River to the win.
The Bruins (2-3, 1-0 PVL) will take the court again Thursday to face Foothill.
Forest Lake Christian 9, Golden Sierra 0
The Falcons made it a clean sweep Tuesday against Golden Sierra and, in the process, improved to 4-0 this season.
FLC's Hannah Burnett topped Lenea Travis in two sets, 6-2, 6-0. Megan Gauthier also took her match handily, 6-1, 6-2.
In doubles action, Scott Gauthier and Brandan Patchett won their contest with Daniel Lesher and Justin Eicher, 10-7.
Forest Lake Christian plays again Friday night against Sac Country Day at the Rio Del Oro Country Club in Sacramento.
Bear River 217, Foothill 297
The Bruins notched their first win of the season Tuesday, topping Foothill by 80 strokes at the par-35 Lake of the Pines Golf Course.
Jake DePasse led the way with a 36, Dillon Smith and Ian Armstrong both shot 41, Cody Heard finished with a 48, and Drew Cramer and Conner McLendon each shot a 51 to round things out.
Bear River (1-2, 1-1 PVL) hit the links again Thursday when they host Placer.
Granite Bay 195, Nevada Union 198
The Miners came up just three strokes short of toppling last year's state champion, Granite Bay.
Nevada Union, playing at par-36 Alta Sierra Country Club, was led by Logan Lowe with a one-under-par 35, Brad Carrion with a 38, Andrew Puleo with a 41 and Bert Heinzelman and Derek Frank both shooting 42.
The Miners (6-1, 1-1 Sierra Foothill League) are back at it Thursday against Del Oro.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- COLLEGE BOUND: Nevada Union student athletes make college commitments
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union track and field qualifies four to Masters Meet
- INDYCAR: Rossi qualifies on the front row for Indy 500
- YOUTH BASEBALL: Gold Country Bears claw way to tourney title
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball