Prep roundup: Bear River, NU girls basketball tally weekend wins
January 6, 2014
The Lady Bruins bulldozed their way through the Casa Roble Tournament, beating their three opponents by a combined score of 166-76.
Bear River beat Woodland 55-5 in the first round, topped Bear Creek 52-38 in the second round and clobbered Folsom in the title game, 59-33.
In the championship game, Folsom grabbed a 15-8 first-quarter lead, but the Lady Bruin defense stiffened and allowed just 18 points the rest of the way.
Bear River senior Kaitlyn Reina led the way with 10 points on 10-of-19 shooting, and she grabbed 10 rebounds.
Teryn Rath scored nine and grabbed six boards, and Maddi Dunn scored seven to go with seven rebounds and six steals. Dunn and Reina were both named to the all-tourney team.
The Lady Bruins also got an opportunity to meet a women's basketball great as two-time Olympic gold medalist and former Sacramento Monarch Ruthie Bolton was in attendance for the championship game.
Recommended Stories For You
Nevada Union 75, Edison 42
The Nevada Union girls basketball team got points from every active Lady Miner on the way to a 75-41 throttling of Edison of Stockton.
Junior Sammie DeHart filled the stat sheet with eight points, nine rebounds and three blocked shots. Senior Sydney Porter led the team in scoring with 22 points. She also had four rebounds and two steals. Senior Emma Peterson scored 16 points to go with four rebounds and four steals.
Senior post player Melanie O'Brien had 13 points and six rebounds and ended the first quarter by hitting a 45-foot 3-pointer to put NU up 28-8 headed to the second.
Senior point guard Erin Selleck had five points and eight assists to go with a pair of steals. Coming off the bench, Callie Kraus chipped in five.
The Lady Miners head to Chico tonight to play Pleasant Valley, then open Sierra Foothill League competition Friday against Woodcreek.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Lady Miners enjoying best season in years, set to face Rocklin on Pink Night
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Lady Miners sweep Rocklin on Pink Night (VIDEO)
- YOUTH BASEBALL: Gold Country Bears claim multiple tourney titles
- PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River, Colfax face off in critical league bout
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union blanked by Bulldogs
- Moratorium on insurance policies affect prospective Nevada County homeowners
- Grass Valley murder suspect pleads not guilty by reason of insanity
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Suspect arrested in two Grass Valley spot fires
- Hefty expenses force Nevada City to take out loans