Prep roundup: Bear River golf clobbers Center, track team ties Colfax
April 5, 2013
The Bear River golf team improved to 3-2 in Pioneer Valley League play Thursday, beating Center 233-274 at Cherry Island Golf Course in Elverta.
Leading the Bruin charge was Jake DePasse, shooting a 44 on the par-37. Cody Heard, Ian Armstrong and Drew Cramer all shot 47 and Braden Duncan rounded things out with a 48.
Thursday's win is the second for the Bruins this week, and they hit the links again Monday at the first PVL tournament of the season.
Track and Field
The Bear River girls track and field team sprinted, hurdled and jumped its way to a 65-65 tie with rival Colfax Wednesday.
The boys team didn't fair as well falling to the Falcons 63-59.
Leading the girls team was Erica Higley, winning three events for the Bruins. Higley took first-place in the 200-meter sprint with a time of 28 seconds, she won the 400 with a time of 1 minute and 5.1 seconds and also took the high jump, clearing the bar at 4 feet, eight inches.
Savannah Welz had a standout day for the girls team, winning both the hurdle events. Welz, a senior, took the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 18 seconds, and won the 300 low hurdles with a time of 52.5.
On the boys side, Alex Coffman won four events. The talented runner was first in the 400, 800, 1600 and 3200.
The Bruins' Jacob Robinson placed first in the long jump with a leap of 19-1/2. Will Dressler took the triple jump for Bear River with a distance of 35-10 ½.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- GIVING BACK: Annual Lake Wildwood golf fundraiser aids injured vets
- TRACK & FIELD: Sierra Gold athletes shine at National Masters Track and Field Championships
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union volleyball great Ali Daley McColloch ready for new challenge
- YOUTH SWIMMING: Northern Sierra makes splash in Redding
- PREP FOOTBALL: Reasons to get excited about Bear River football in 2017
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death
- Woman kidnapped from Alta Sierra home, Nevada County authorities say
- Top 10 ways you know you’re a Grass Valley/Nevada City local
- Nevada City police: Suspect found with suspected drugs, $17K in cash