Prep roundup: Bear River, Forest Lake Christian notch non-league basketball victories
December 17, 2013
The Forest Lake Christian girls basketball team eked out a one-point victory Tuesday, beating the Lady Spartans from San Juan, 52-51.
The Lady Falcons trailed 27-26 at halftime, but came out strong in the third quarter outscoring San Juan 16-7 to grab a 42-34 lead heading to the fourth.
FLC withstood the Lady Spartans' late charge to clinch its seventh win of the season to just one loss.
"We answered the call there (coming out in the second half) and hung on," FLC head coach Tom Ritchart said. "We put good pressure on. That's a good team. We didn't get rattled and didn't give up."
The Lady Falcons were led by Lauren Piner with 18 points, Josey Poppin added 14, Emily Pearce tallied eight, and Christian Blair netted seven in the win.
FLC takes the court again Thursday when it faces Barrow at the Holland America Tournament.
Bear River 56, Calaveras 27
The Lady Bruins combined staunch defense with balanced scoring and wound up with a lopsided win over Calaveras in a nonleague matchup Tuesday.
The Lady Bruins got 17 points from senior Kaitlyn Reina, 10 points from Michelle Whiting and eight from Teryn Rath in the win.
Bear River (6-1) will be back at it Thursday when it faces Yuba City in the first round of the Chavez Classic.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- TRACK AND FIELD: Records fall at Union Hill Invitational
- YOUTH TENNIS: Junior players earn doubles title at USTA tourney in Elk Grove
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union grad Josh Roenicke having strong season in Mexico
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival