December 24, 2012
Here in Nevada County we take our sports and athletics seriously.
And with so many talented teams and athletes to pay attention and give credit to, it's a very tall task for The Union's small sports staff.
Luckily, there are so many people in our community who are just as passionate about local sports as we are and show it by sending in photos and calling in updates to make sure anyone who is excelling in sports or athletics gets the recognition they deserve.
So with my first calendar year at The Union almost complete, I want to take a moment to acknowledge the many contributors who help make the sports pages what they are.
A major kudos goes out to Brian O'Brien for sending in countless photos ranging from basketball to powderpuff. I also want to thank Tammy Noxon for her NU football photos, Kaitlyn Reina for her Bear River softball photos and everyone else who sent in pictures of their achievements, their friends' achievements or their children's achievements.
A tremendous thanks goes to our regular columnists — John Renslow, Jim Adams, Steve Bond and most recently Frank Cooney. They all deserve an extra candy cane in their stockings.
I want to thank all the coaches at Bear River, Forest Lake Christian and Nevada Union for calling in scores and stats on nights we can't be there to cover it live. A big thanks goes out to NU athletic director Steve Pilcher, Bear River athletic director Duwaine Ganskie, Forest Lake Christian athletic director Steve Koch and former FLC athletic director Steve Robinson for always keeping The Union in the know about all things prep sports.
I also want to mention Avery Blake and Bruce McDowell who keep me current with the Nevada County lacrosse scene. Gary Loucks, who sends in the Gold Country Grand Prix results after each race, was invaluable this year. Gil Dominguez deserves a shout out for all his hard work at TouchDown Productions and allowing us to run his broadcasts at http://www.TheUnion.com.
I also want to thank the myriad gyms and workout studios that have opened their doors to me for a month, so I can let you, the reader, know what fitness options are out there in this fine county.
And thank you to all the parents, fans, team moms/dads and anyone else who sent in pictures or updates throughout the year. We couldn't do it without you.
To contact Sports Editor Walter Ford call (530) 477-4232 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- CROSSFIT: Shaun Havard, Will Havard gear up for 2017 Reebok CrossFit Games
- ROLLER DERBY: Growing Outlaws team seeks sponsors, new members
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- SOFTBALL: Men’s fast pitch returns to Tahoe City
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon set for September, proceeds will fund mammograms and scholarships
- CHP: Rough and Ready woman dies in ATV wreck
- Following theft, beloved Nevada County local Kenny Bond to get new bike donated from local businesses
- Joseph Ward, accused of murder, appears in Nevada County Superior Court
- Bear drops by home near Cascade Shores (video)
- CHP: Fire near Greenhorn Campground leads to evacuations (VIDEO)