December 24, 2012
Here in Nevada County we take our sports and athletics seriously.
And with so many talented teams and athletes to pay attention and give credit to, it's a very tall task for The Union's small sports staff.
Luckily, there are so many people in our community who are just as passionate about local sports as we are and show it by sending in photos and calling in updates to make sure anyone who is excelling in sports or athletics gets the recognition they deserve.
So with my first calendar year at The Union almost complete, I want to take a moment to acknowledge the many contributors who help make the sports pages what they are.
A major kudos goes out to Brian O'Brien for sending in countless photos ranging from basketball to powderpuff. I also want to thank Tammy Noxon for her NU football photos, Kaitlyn Reina for her Bear River softball photos and everyone else who sent in pictures of their achievements, their friends' achievements or their children's achievements.
A tremendous thanks goes to our regular columnists — John Renslow, Jim Adams, Steve Bond and most recently Frank Cooney. They all deserve an extra candy cane in their stockings.
I want to thank all the coaches at Bear River, Forest Lake Christian and Nevada Union for calling in scores and stats on nights we can't be there to cover it live. A big thanks goes out to NU athletic director Steve Pilcher, Bear River athletic director Duwaine Ganskie, Forest Lake Christian athletic director Steve Koch and former FLC athletic director Steve Robinson for always keeping The Union in the know about all things prep sports.
I also want to mention Avery Blake and Bruce McDowell who keep me current with the Nevada County lacrosse scene. Gary Loucks, who sends in the Gold Country Grand Prix results after each race, was invaluable this year. Gil Dominguez deserves a shout out for all his hard work at TouchDown Productions and allowing us to run his broadcasts at http://www.TheUnion.com.
I also want to thank the myriad gyms and workout studios that have opened their doors to me for a month, so I can let you, the reader, know what fitness options are out there in this fine county.
And thank you to all the parents, fans, team moms/dads and anyone else who sent in pictures or updates throughout the year. We couldn't do it without you.
To contact Sports Editor Walter Ford call (530) 477-4232 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Trending In: Sports
- PREP BASKETBALL: Bear River, Forest Lake Christian girls advance; Nevada Union bounced
- FORD: Sacramento Kings need culture change in front office
- PREP PLAYOFF ROUNDUP: Bear River tops Calaveras, advances to semifinals
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian boys fall to Sac Adventist; FLC girls gear up for 2nd round mathcup with Valley Christian
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union alums Maxwell, Houlihan shine on diamond
- Nevada County authorities accuse man of possessing meth, police scanner
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- Nevada County homicide: Detective says suspect confided about shooting
- Andrew Wilson: Nevada County Board of Supervisors ignores will of voters, shirks responsibility
- Nevada City talks medical marijuana