Papa Lee wins NCASA summer league basketball title
August 18, 2013
In a thrilling seesaw battle between two talented basketball squads, the No. 2 seed Papa Lee defeated No. 1 seed SPD by a score of 70-64 in the Nevada County Adult Sports Association Men's Five-on-Five Sunday Night Summer League championship game at the Veterans Memorial Building.
Neither team could pull away with the game tied 13-13 after one quarter and still knotted up at 32 a piece at the break. SPD took a slim 50-49 lead into the fourth but couldn't slam the door on Papa Lee.
"Give credit to Papa Lee for letting us run out there," said Ty Smith, who led all scorers with 25 points. "He likes to shoot the 3s. We got into a high-pace game and it picked up and played to our advantage. It's always fun playing (SPD). It's fun to compete against them."
With a little more than four minutes to play, Papa Lee took a 60-59 lead and never looked back as it feasted on opportunities created by its up-tempo style. After a 12-1 run, it had stretched its lead to 10 points and forced SPD to foul.
"We locked down the second half like a 'Toy Story' lunchbox." added Josh Horn who tossed in 14 points for Papa Lee.
For SPD, Chris Macintosh dropped in 17 points, while Brock Painter and Ryan Colditz finished with 13 and 12, respectively.
Both teams finished the regular season 9-1 as each defeated the other, but due to point differential, SPD earned top spot for the tourney.
The NCASA is accepting enrollment for fall leagues until Sept. 6. For information visit http:// ncasa.biz/ or call Rich Ramirez at 530-575-9142.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- CROSSFIT: Shaun Havard, Will Havard gear up for 2017 Reebok CrossFit Games
- ROLLER DERBY: Growing Outlaws team seeks sponsors, new members
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Maxwell helps Gold Sox to victory
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon set for September, proceeds will fund mammograms and scholarships
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- Following theft, beloved Nevada County local Kenny Bond to get new bike donated from local businesses
- Joseph Ward, accused of murder, appears in Nevada County Superior Court
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair