Pancakes, parades and plenty of baseball to highlight NCLL Opening Day
March 27, 2014
Spring is in the air and with it comes the familiar crack of bats and pop of horsehide on leather as Little Leaguers all over Nevada County return to the diamond for another season of baseball action.
Nevada City Little League opens play this week at beautiful Pioneer Park with their traditional Opening Day and Pancake Breakfast festivities on Saturday. Starting at 7:30 a.m., fans can come down to Seaman's Lodge and have breakfast with Nevada City Little League. The cost of the breakfast is $5, and that includes pancakes, sausage, coffee, and juice, griddled up fresh by the Nevada City Police and Fire Departments.
Nevada City Little League continues to enjoy strong enrollment this season, with over 250 kids ranging in age from 4 to 14 poised to take the ball field this spring.
"Nevada City Little League has worked hard to provide a fun baseball experience for our area youth," said NCLL President, Mike Fitzpatrick. "We're excited to see so many kids responding to that. It should be a sweet season."
Nevada City Little League features a whopping 22 teams this season, with ballplayers distributed from T-Ball on up to the Junior Division. In a telling example of Nevada City's baseball loyalties, each of the five NCLL divisions features a Giants squad but there are no Dodgers to be found anywhere.
All 22 teams will be on display during Saturday's Opening Day festivities in the Little League parade, a stirring testimonial to America's abiding love for all things baseball. The parade and Opening Day ceremonies get underway at 10:30 a.m.
Recommended Stories For You
In addition to pancakes and parades, Opening Day will also boast plenty of baseball action, with a full slate of Minor, Major, and Junior division games taking place at Pioneer Park. Games start at 1:00 p.m. and run the rest of the day, with the opening pitch of the nightcap taking place at 7:00 p.m. under the lights and pines on the Major diamond.
The public is welcome to come on out to the ballpark, grab a dog from the snack shack, and celebrate the return of spring with Nevada City Little League's Opening Day and Pancake Breakfast.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Lady Miners enjoying best season in years, set to face Rocklin on Pink Night
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Lady Miners sweep Rocklin on Pink Night (VIDEO)
- PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River, Colfax face off in critical league bout
- YOUTH BASEBALL: Gold Country Bears claim multiple tourney titles
- YOUTH FOOTBALL: Junior Miners start fast, top Rio Linda
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Moratorium on insurance policies affect prospective Nevada County homeowners
- Grass Valley murder suspect pleads not guilty by reason of insanity
- Suspect arrested in two Grass Valley spot fires
- Hefty expenses force Nevada City to take out loans