Pancakes, parades and plenty of baseball to highlight NCLL Opening Day
March 27, 2014
Spring is in the air and with it comes the familiar crack of bats and pop of horsehide on leather as Little Leaguers all over Nevada County return to the diamond for another season of baseball action.
Nevada City Little League opens play this week at beautiful Pioneer Park with their traditional Opening Day and Pancake Breakfast festivities on Saturday. Starting at 7:30 a.m., fans can come down to Seaman's Lodge and have breakfast with Nevada City Little League. The cost of the breakfast is $5, and that includes pancakes, sausage, coffee, and juice, griddled up fresh by the Nevada City Police and Fire Departments.
Nevada City Little League continues to enjoy strong enrollment this season, with over 250 kids ranging in age from 4 to 14 poised to take the ball field this spring.
"Nevada City Little League has worked hard to provide a fun baseball experience for our area youth," said NCLL President, Mike Fitzpatrick. "We're excited to see so many kids responding to that. It should be a sweet season."
Nevada City Little League features a whopping 22 teams this season, with ballplayers distributed from T-Ball on up to the Junior Division. In a telling example of Nevada City's baseball loyalties, each of the five NCLL divisions features a Giants squad but there are no Dodgers to be found anywhere.
All 22 teams will be on display during Saturday's Opening Day festivities in the Little League parade, a stirring testimonial to America's abiding love for all things baseball. The parade and Opening Day ceremonies get underway at 10:30 a.m.
In addition to pancakes and parades, Opening Day will also boast plenty of baseball action, with a full slate of Minor, Major, and Junior division games taking place at Pioneer Park. Games start at 1:00 p.m. and run the rest of the day, with the opening pitch of the nightcap taking place at 7:00 p.m. under the lights and pines on the Major diamond.
The public is welcome to come on out to the ballpark, grab a dog from the snack shack, and celebrate the return of spring with Nevada City Little League's Opening Day and Pancake Breakfast.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP PLAYOFF ROUNDUP: Bear River tops Calaveras, advances to semifinals
- PREP WRESTLING: Bear River’s Danieli, Carpenter set for Masters
- PREP BASKETBALL: Bear River, Forest Lake Christian girls advance; Nevada Union bounced
- FORD: Sacramento Kings need culture change in front office
- PREP WRESTLING: Q&A with NU’s Cole Johnson
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- Nevada County authorities accuse man of possessing meth, police scanner
- Nevada County homicide: Detective says suspect confided about shooting
- Andrew Wilson: Nevada County Board of Supervisors ignores will of voters, shirks responsibility
- Nevada City talks medical marijuana