NVFP: Bulldogs’ late rally bites Les Eva All=Stars
July 20, 2013
It was a wild one that went down to the final play Thursday at Memorial Park when the Bulldogs faced off against Les Eva’s All-Stars in a Nevada County fast-pitch softball showdown.
Les Eva’s All-Stars jumped out to a 6-1 lead, but a seventh-inning rally by the Bulldogs had them walking off with the win, 8-7.
Trailing 7-3 in their last at-bat, the Bulldogs rattled off three straight singles to open the bottom half of the inning. Russell Bracket and Alec Giron both reached with base knocks, then Jarrett Roenicke knocked Bracket in with a single of his own. Jeromy Hoskins then plated Giron and Roenicke with a double to bring the Bulldogs to within one run. Sam Keen then walked, and Devin Genovese moved Hoskins and Keen up a bag with a sacrifice. Vern Bridges then played the hero and ended the game with a one-out double off the fence that scored both Keen and Hoskins.
The Les Eva All-Stars had built their lead with a five-run fifth that included a lead-off home run from Brian Fontana. Pete Medrano and Chris Porter then followed with singles. Robby Porter drove in a run on a fielder’s choice, and Kevin Fontana ripped an RBI double, which was followed by a two-run jack by Josh Van Matre, giving him three RBIs on the night.
The Bulldogs chipped away at that lead in the bottom of the fifth with a triple by Jeff Nye, who then scored on a Bracket sac fly. A Genovese RBI double made it 6-3 heading to the seventh.
In other Nevada County fast-pitch action, the Event Helper stayed undefeated with an 8-1 victory over Gold Country Automotive. A-Z Supply topped Towers Casino 15-9, and Rockwell Family Dental upset the Precision Pump Dirtbags, 13-12.
There are three days of action next week with games being played Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at Les Eva Field at Memorial Park in Grass Valley.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP BASKETBALL: Nevada Union, Bear River, Forest Lake Christian discover playoff paths
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union alumna Woodward pins down All-American status
- CYCLING: Nevada City Dirt Classic, YBONC team up with USA Cycling
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian crushes Lutheran in 1st round of playoffs
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Bear River graduate Nerissa Eason dominant in first college starts
- UPDATE: Both lanes re-opened on Highway 49 in Grass Valley after sinkhole inspection
- Nevada City Planning Commission OK’s outdoor pot grows
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- Nevada County homeless man given second chance with previous job
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping