NU’s Migliozzi sets new PR, wins 2013 McDonald’s Rough Rider Invitational Cross Country meet
October 20, 2013
Garrett Migliozzi represented the Nevada Union Miners well by winning his 5000 meter race at the 2013 McDonald's Rough Rider Invitational Cross Country meet Friday in Clovis.
The senior charged to the finish line with a 20-meter lead and a personal best 5k time of 15:24. Migliozzi ran his first mile in 4 minutes, 56 seconds and didn't slow down much, completing the second mile in 5:01. Headed into the first turn, he was just outside the top 10 runners in a field of 219. At 1.2 miles into the race, he moved up into the eighth position and at the two-mile mark he advanced up to third, only eight meters back from the two leaders running shoulder to shoulder, stride to stride. With 800 meters to go, Migliozzi made his move and blew by the leaders, building a 20-plus meter lead, and hung on all the way to the finish. Also competing in the race was Joel Mendez Monache, who took 10th with a time of 16:00.
The Lady Miners were led by Nora Pizzella, who came in 12th place with a time of 19:44, followed by Erika Wolf (20:18), Karina Martinez (21:10), Kristina Martinez (21:45) and Kali Arvidson (22:48).
The win for Migliozzi also came with a memorable pre-race wardrobe malfunction when he noticed he had on his training shoes and not his racing flats within minutes of the race's start. He ran back and changed shoes, returning just in time. The course ran Friday will also be used again for the State meet Nov. 30.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP BASKETBALL: Bear River, Forest Lake Christian girls advance; Nevada Union bounced
- FORD: Sacramento Kings need culture change in front office
- PREP PLAYOFF ROUNDUP: Bear River tops Calaveras, advances to semifinals
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian boys fall to Sac Adventist; FLC girls gear up for 2nd round mathcup with Valley Christian
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union alums Maxwell, Houlihan shine on diamond
- Nevada County authorities accuse man of possessing meth, police scanner
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- Nevada County homicide: Detective says suspect confided about shooting
- Andrew Wilson: Nevada County Board of Supervisors ignores will of voters, shirks responsibility
- Nevada City talks medical marijuana