NU water polo opens season with win over Whitney
September 4, 2013
The Nevada Union girls water polo team got its 2013 campaign off to a strong start Wednesday in Rocklin, beating Whitney handily 16-2.
Leading the way for the Lady Miners was 2012 All-Sierra Foothill League player Nicole Blaney. The talented senior tallied five goals in the win. Junior Sarah Cudworth added three goals and Maddie Hedenland, Mackayla Carolan and Ellie DeMartini all netted two each.
Rounding out the scoring for the Lady Miners were Faith Robichaud and Kei Castleberry with one goal each.
Stepping up big time for NU was Brie Sobraske. The junior goalkeeper, starting for the first in her career, allowed just two goals the entire game. Sobraske is usually a reserve, but when the usual starter was out sick, Sobraske stepped up and did a great job, said NU head coach Craig Zetterberg.
The Lady Miners get a short break before heading to the Chuck McCollum Invitational Tournament Sept. 13-14 at Sierra College.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- COLLEGE BOUND: Nevada Union student athletes make college commitments
- TRACK AND FIELD: Records fall at Union Hill Invitational
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union track and field qualifies four to Masters Meet
- INDYCAR: Rossi qualifies on the front row for Indy 500
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier