NU water polo opens season with win over Whitney
September 4, 2013
The Nevada Union girls water polo team got its 2013 campaign off to a strong start Wednesday in Rocklin, beating Whitney handily 16-2.
Leading the way for the Lady Miners was 2012 All-Sierra Foothill League player Nicole Blaney. The talented senior tallied five goals in the win. Junior Sarah Cudworth added three goals and Maddie Hedenland, Mackayla Carolan and Ellie DeMartini all netted two each.
Rounding out the scoring for the Lady Miners were Faith Robichaud and Kei Castleberry with one goal each.
Stepping up big time for NU was Brie Sobraske. The junior goalkeeper, starting for the first in her career, allowed just two goals the entire game. Sobraske is usually a reserve, but when the usual starter was out sick, Sobraske stepped up and did a great job, said NU head coach Craig Zetterberg.
The Lady Miners get a short break before heading to the Chuck McCollum Invitational Tournament Sept. 13-14 at Sierra College.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP FOOTBALL: Granite Bay knocks off Nevada Union, 34-21
- PREP FOOTBALL: Colfax beats rival Bear River, 31-14
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union grad Nora Pizzella shines as member of Chico State XC team
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Bear River bests Lincoln on Senior Night
- PREP FOOTBALL ROUNDUP: Placer pounds Foothill, remains unbeaten in PVL play