NU tops Davis at Alpine Meadows
February 9, 2013
The Nevada Union alpine ski team men edged out Davis once again for the second match up at Alpine Meadows in the slalom, 208-204, while the Lady Miners placed third behind Davis and Colfax. NU won second overall in the team combined scoring, losing to Davis by a narrow margin of 413-398.
The Miners were led by the Sekerak twins, Michael and Robert. Michael flew down the mountain in his first run with a time of 43.41 seconds and followed it up with 47.87 seconds in his second attempt to post an overall combined time of 1-minute 31.28 seconds and grab second place. Robert was right on his brother's heels racing in at 43.21 and 49.24 to finish at 1:32.45 and take third place. Another fraction of a second behind them came the youngster Peter McDowell with run times of 46.58 and seconds to win fourth place with a mark of 1:32.57.
For the girls, Olivia McDowell continued her stellar season leading the Lady Miners with a time of 44.13 seconds in her first run and 48.93 seconds in her second run, earning a combined time of 1-minute, 33.06 seconds which earned her sixth place overall.
Finishing right behind her in seventh place was teammate Quinlan Grim who raced in with times of 47.22 and 52.26, a combined mark of 1:39.48. Julia Ramirez rounded out the top three for NU's girls with race times of 49.67 and 54.22 to earn a final mark of 1:43.89 and claim 11th overall.
"Our racers are improving with each and every race and the competition is getting more intense as the kids push to drop their times," said head coach Ken Ramirez in an email.
"It is really rewarding as a coach to see not only the enthusiasm in our training sessions but also the intensity in competition."
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- CROSSFIT: Shaun Havard, Will Havard gear up for 2017 Reebok CrossFit Games
- ROLLER DERBY: Growing Outlaws team seeks sponsors, new members
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Maxwell helps Gold Sox to victory
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon set for September, proceeds will fund mammograms and scholarships
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Joseph Ward, accused of murder, appears in Nevada County Superior Court