NU mountain bikers eye state championships
May 11, 2013
The 2013 Nevada Union Mountain Bike Club/Team is a young group of dedicated athletes who train three times per week on local trails, ride more than 1,500 miles a season and take their talents as far as Monterey to compete against other high schools in the NorCal High School MTB Racing League.
In April, the team traveled to Boggs Mountain, near Clear Lake in Lake County, for a fun weekend of camping and racing on a single track course that twisted through the pinewoods, much like the trails here in Nevada county.
At the NorCal Championship Races at Boggs, the Miners placed 10th as a team out of 17 schools in Division I.
Meredith Nunnink, varsity girls, placed ninth out of 19 girls, racing 18 miles, Rhianna Grady-Rouch, freshmen girls, finished 18th out of 23 girls, racing 12 miles, and Alec Seivert, varsity boys, placed 10th out of 55 riders, racing 24 miles.
In the junior varsity boys division, Zach Moultrie finished 10th, Erik Haight placed 16th, Alex Orovitz placed 27th, and Brad Hoffler placed 28th out of 55 riders, racing 18 miles.
In the freshmen boys division, Ryan Bernadett finished in sixth place, Max Morales placed 23rd, Elijah Goode placed 30th, Dylan Mueller placed 44th, and Daniel Fisher placed 54th out of 68 freshmen boys.
The final race, the state championship, is May 19 at Stafford Lake in Novato. All members of the NU team have qualified.
The league started in 2001 with a 2013 membership of approximately 750 teens from more than 50 participating schools. Boys and girls races are separate. The SoCal League started in 2010 with more than 200 teens. Due to an overwhelming response to this new sport from sponsors, teachers and parents, both leagues are now part of National Interscholastic Cycling Association. This organization has new leagues in Colorado, Texas, Washington, etc. Also, mountain biking is recognized as an official Olympic sport.
Youth Bicyclists of Nevada County supports more than 120 teens in seven school bike clubs in Nevada County. This nonprofit foundation also raises funds for riding clinics, races and trail work days. If you would like to make a tax deductible donation, be a jersey sponsor on the Nevada Union Miners racing jersey or on YBONC’s jersey, send us an email to email@example.com . To learn about YBONC and upcoming events visit http://ybonc.org.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP BASKETBALL: Nevada Union, Bear River, Forest Lake Christian discover playoff paths
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union alumna Woodward pins down All-American status
- CYCLING: Nevada City Dirt Classic, YBONC team up with USA Cycling
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian crushes Lutheran in 1st round of playoffs
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Bear River graduate Nerissa Eason dominant in first college starts
- UPDATE: Both lanes re-opened on Highway 49 in Grass Valley after sinkhole inspection
- Nevada City Planning Commission OK’s outdoor pot grows
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- Nevada County homeless man given second chance with previous job
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping