NU boarders carve up Alpine Meadows
February 22, 2013
The Nevada Union snowboard team shined in the giant slalom event Monday at Alpine Meadows as the girls team took first place and the boys finished third.
For the girls team, Nevada Union had four racers finish in the top 12 and edged out Tahoe-Truckee for the win.
NU's Drew Bernadett and Celine Holland led the way, as they have all season, finishing in second and third respectively.
Faith Robichaud placed ninth for the Miners, and Morgan Shade finished in the 12th spot. NU's Michaela Haemming wasn't far behind the rest of her team taking 15th-place.
Colfax's Nelly Steinhoff took the top spot in the girls race.
On the boys side, NU had four racers finish in the top five, but none place higher than 10th.
Andrew Scarafiotti was the Miners' top finisher with a two-race combined time of 1 minute and 47.21 seconds, good enough for 10th.
Phillip Breaux was hot on his teammates tail, finishing in 11th with a time of 1:47.39. Trent Jarvis took 21st for NU, and Billy Watters placed 25th.
NU's Luca Innocenti placed 29th, Bradley Carrion was 35th, Dakota Agran was 39th, Cory Arbaugh was 40th, Erik Whatley was 42nd, and Jared Fernandez was 44th.
Placer won the boys race with two racers in the top three. Jacob Peek was first with a two-race combined time of 1:33.59, and Scott Muraki placed third. Peek was five seconds faster than the second-place finisher, Kyle Bryant from Colfax.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- ROLLER DERBY: Growing Outlaws team seeks sponsors, new members
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Maxwell helps Gold Sox to victory
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon set for September, proceeds will fund mammograms and scholarships
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial
- Nevada County marijuana community advisory group learns about state pot laws