Nevada Union’s ski team battles rough conditions, places 2nd at Sugar Bowl
January 14, 2014
On a warm and sunny Monday, the Nevada Union Alpine Ski team was provided a long stretch of man-made ice on which to ski.
The race at Sugar Bowl started an hour and a half late due to technical difficulties in trying to run a side-by-side ski and snow board competition. The intent was good, to get races in under such horrific snow conditions, but the reality was it wasn't easy to pull off, and the varsity men had a tough time as one top racer after another blew out. NU men came in third while the ladies held their own for another second. The team ended up in second with 495 points, just behind Davis (518 points) and ahead of Del Oro (444 points).
The Lady Miners top racer was Emma Stratman who finished sixth with a time of 2 minutes, 4.48 seconds. Mikaela Lujan came in eighth with a time of 2:05.80 was followed by teammates Katie King in ninth with a 2:07.46 and Tori Newman, coming in 11th with a 2:09.48. The girls are really progressing well, and we are impressed with the strides they have made in being more aggressive racers.
Sophomore Peter McDowell led the boys team, coming in second with an impressive time of 1:39.71. McDowell was followed by Josh Harris in the 11th spot. NU's third point-scorer was Ethan Good who moved from 21st place after his first hiking experience into a second-run seventh-place finish, giving him a 12th place overall (2:01.81). John Schlothauer held firm with a 14th place to round out the pointing positions with a 2:05.16 combined time. The good thing about the men's performances Monday was that they were all skiing well.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232. Deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- COLLEGE BOUND: Nevada Union student athletes make college commitments
- TRACK AND FIELD: Records fall at Union Hill Invitational
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union track and field qualifies four to Masters Meet
- INDYCAR: Rossi qualifies on the front row for Indy 500
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier