Nevada Union’s Robichaud sweeps events at Alpine
February 17, 2014
The Nevada Union snowboard team had a double dip at Alpine Meadows to close the regular season, and that suited junior Faith Robichaud just fine.
Making up a divisional race that was cancelled last Monday, the team raced both the slalom and giant slalom events Friday.
Robichaud took first in both.
"It was a big day for Faith," NU head coach Don Farber said. "She works very hard and deserved this. This will prepare her for state and give her some extra attitude."
Robichaud won the girls giant slalom event with a two-race combined time of 1 minute, 12.81 seconds. Michaela Haemmig was the next Lady Miner to place in the giant slalom, coming in third with a time of 1:17. Sophie Smith was seventh in a time of 1:29. NU's Celine Holland placed eighth.
The Lady Miners took first as a team in the girls competition.
In the slalom race, Robichaud set the top mark at 1:30.8, but no one challenged. NU's Haemmig again was the second Lady Miner to place, coming in sixth with a time of 1:39.41.
"Michaela has come so far and works so hard," Farber said. "She just loves this so much, it's great to see her do well."
Smith came in seventh for NU, and Zoe Favor placed 20th to round things out for the Lady Miners in the slalom race.
On the boys side, Alex Fitanides led the way for NU in the slalom race, placing 10th in a time of 1:34. Luca Innocenti (1:38.01) was 15th, Brad Carrion (1:42.2) was 21st, and Ben Gemetti (1:45) was 25th.
In the giant slalom, Erik Whatley led NU with a ninth place finish in a time of 1:10.4. Carrion (1:11.4) was 10th, Fitanides (1:12.1) took 12th and Innocenti (1:14.21) was 17th.
Next up for NU will be the state championships March 5.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- COLLEGE BOUND: Nevada Union student athletes make college commitments
- TRACK AND FIELD: Records fall at Union Hill Invitational
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union track and field qualifies four to Masters Meet
- INDYCAR: Rossi qualifies on the front row for Indy 500
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier