Nevada Union track & field strikes gold at Del Oro invite
April 13, 2014
The Nevada Union track and field team struck gold Friday in Loomis at the Del Oro Invite.
The Miners competed with 28 other teams from Northern California and brought home a load of medals, including two first places.
In varsity action, Delaney Smith placed second with a high jump of 5-foot, 2-inches, while in the 300-meter hurdles she took fifth in 49.83 seconds.
In a spectacular 100 race, Mo Nieves snagged fourth in 11.42 with only .06 seconds separating second and fourth places.
In the girls 100 hurdles, Melanie O'Brien took sixth with a time of 16.51. Marina McKenzie took seventh in the mile run in 6:17.56, and 10th in 3000 in 11:52.50.
Kyle Cammon was 10th in shot put with 42-08.75.
In frosh/soph action, Nora Pizzella led the 3000 race for its entirety, taking first in 11: 14.17. Fellow Miner Joy Castro-Wehr steadily worked her way up through the pack and took second in 11:34.38.
Also taking home a first-place medal was freshman David Clouse in the 400 with a time of 52.51.
In the mile race, Pizzella took second with a time of 5:30.26, Erika Wolf was third in 5:33.94, and Castro-Wehr took sixth in 5:46.07. Wolf took third in the 800 with a time of 2:27.19. Josh Harris was fifth in the boys 800 with 2:12.47.
In an exciting 200 race, Dylan Moreno took third in 23.87, just .05 seconds behind second, while Caleb Patterson took eighth in 24.76. In the 100 race, Moreno was third with 11.79, while Patterson was seventh with 12.13.
In the 4×100 relay, NU took fifth place in 46.53 thanks to Moreno, Bryan Sparks, Patterson, and Edwin Dardon.
Miners host Del Oro April 23, before heading to the West Valley Invite in Oroville April 25.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- COLLEGE BOUND: Nevada Union student athletes make college commitments
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union track and field qualifies four to Masters Meet
- INDYCAR: Rossi qualifies on the front row for Indy 500
- YOUTH BASEBALL: Gold Country Bears claw way to tourney title
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later