Nevada Union track & field strikes gold at Del Oro invite
April 13, 2014
The Nevada Union track and field team struck gold Friday in Loomis at the Del Oro Invite.
The Miners competed with 28 other teams from Northern California and brought home a load of medals, including two first places.
In varsity action, Delaney Smith placed second with a high jump of 5-foot, 2-inches, while in the 300-meter hurdles she took fifth in 49.83 seconds.
In a spectacular 100 race, Mo Nieves snagged fourth in 11.42 with only .06 seconds separating second and fourth places.
In the girls 100 hurdles, Melanie O'Brien took sixth with a time of 16.51. Marina McKenzie took seventh in the mile run in 6:17.56, and 10th in 3000 in 11:52.50.
Kyle Cammon was 10th in shot put with 42-08.75.
Recommended Stories For You
In frosh/soph action, Nora Pizzella led the 3000 race for its entirety, taking first in 11: 14.17. Fellow Miner Joy Castro-Wehr steadily worked her way up through the pack and took second in 11:34.38.
Also taking home a first-place medal was freshman David Clouse in the 400 with a time of 52.51.
In the mile race, Pizzella took second with a time of 5:30.26, Erika Wolf was third in 5:33.94, and Castro-Wehr took sixth in 5:46.07. Wolf took third in the 800 with a time of 2:27.19. Josh Harris was fifth in the boys 800 with 2:12.47.
In an exciting 200 race, Dylan Moreno took third in 23.87, just .05 seconds behind second, while Caleb Patterson took eighth in 24.76. In the 100 race, Moreno was third with 11.79, while Patterson was seventh with 12.13.
In the 4×100 relay, NU took fifth place in 46.53 thanks to Moreno, Bryan Sparks, Patterson, and Edwin Dardon.
Miners host Del Oro April 23, before heading to the West Valley Invite in Oroville April 25.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union falls to Rocklin in league opener (VIDEO)
- PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River runs over El Dorado, remains unbeaten
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union opens Sierra Foothill League play at Rocklin
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union volleyball tops Bear River in cross-county bout
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon brings community together, raises funds to fight breast cancer
- Running into trouble: Failed negotiations between canal-side property owner and Banner Mountain group spur lawsuit
- Sierra Nevada snow causes huge, fatal crash
- Cause of death confirmed for Bridgeport hiker
- Grass Valley police: Spray painted, stolen vehicle leads to arrest
- Eye on the Economy: Nevada County’s commerce lags behind in economic recovery (VIDEO)