Nevada Union track and field claims 17 medals at Thunder Invite
March 30, 2014
Forty-four teams and their loyal spectators endured hours of pouring rain at the Thunder Invitational track & field meet Saturday in Rocklin.
In all, 17 medals (1st-3rd places) came home with Nevada Union athletes.
NU's Garrett Migliozzi captured the win in a close and exciting race in the varsity 3200-meter run with a time of 9 minutes, 23.75 seconds. Rocklin's George Miao led until the last 75 yards or so, when Migliozzi kicked hard and inched out the win.
The difference between first and second was .08. Miggliozzi also won the varsity 800m, finishing a full six seconds ahead of second place.
In other varsity events, Melanie O'Brien took fourth in the 100m hurdles with a time of 17.42 seconds, while Delaney Smith took eighth with 18.31. O'Brien also took third in 300m hurdles with a time of 51.05 seconds.
Nora Pizella ran the 3200m, finishing third in 11:42.44 and finishing ninth in the 1600m with 5:30.35.
In varsity field events, Smith cleared 5-feet, 2-inches and placed third after a tie-breaking jump-off in high jump. In girls shot put, Cori Maves took eighth with a put of 29-07.5, and in boys shot put, Kyle Cammon placed 13th with a put of 39-03.50.
Nevada Union's frosh/soph also made a strong showing on this extremely wet day.
Nadia Torkman took second in 100m dash with a time of 13.35.
In men's 100m, Edwin Dardon took second in 11.99 and Dorian Popenberg took fourth in 12.06. In the girls 200m, Taylor Johnson took second in 27.42 while in the boys 200m, Dylan Moreno took second with 24.44.
Erika Wolf took second in 300m hurdles in 54.27 and third in 1600m with 5:36.49. Joy Castro-Wehr took fourth in 1600m with a time of 5:41.13 and fourth in 3200m in 12:24.08. In the 3200m race, Colby Scanlon placed second in 10:56.94.
The boys 4x400m relay team took second with 3:59.75, thanks to Kain Berreman, David Clouse, Everett Noel and Josh Harris. Clouse took sixth with a time of 56.28 in the 400m. Harris took ninth in the 800m with 2:23.78.
In frosh/soph field events, Taryn Echols put the shot 25-03.00 for fifth place. Clouse was eighth with a triple jump of 36-02.00 feet, and Chance Brown placed third in the high jump with a leap of high 5-08. Brown's jump was tied for the fourth highest of all high jumpers at the meet.
Nevada Union hosts Rocklin on Wednesday for its first dual league meet of the season.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP PLAYOFF ROUNDUP: Bear River tops Calaveras, advances to semifinals
- PREP WRESTLING: Bear River’s Danieli, Carpenter set for Masters
- PREP BASKETBALL: Bear River, Forest Lake Christian girls advance; Nevada Union bounced
- FORD: Sacramento Kings need culture change in front office
- PREP WRESTLING: Q&A with NU’s Cole Johnson
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- Nevada County authorities accuse man of possessing meth, police scanner
- Nevada County homicide: Detective says suspect confided about shooting
- Andrew Wilson: Nevada County Board of Supervisors ignores will of voters, shirks responsibility
- Nevada City talks medical marijuana