Nevada Union ski shines at Northstar
January 14, 2013
The Nevada Union alpine ski team opened its season Monday at Northstar with stellar results.
Under blue skies and amid crisp temperatures, the boys brought home a first-place finish and the girls took third in the giant slalom race.
The combined score of the boys and girls landed NU in second-place overall, behind 2011 state champion Davis.
Freshman Peter McDowell led the Miners with a third-place finish with a combined time of 2:06.37, followed by the Sekerek twins Robert, 2:10.59 (4th) and Michael, 2:10.72 (5th). Sophomore Ethan Good took sixth place with a time of 2:15.58.
The Lady Miners witnessed the return of last year's state qualifiers who skied even faster in the season opener.
Quinlan Grim led the team with a seventh-place finish with a time of 2:10.65.
Grim was followed by Olivia McDowell with a time of 2:11.29 (8th), Julia Ramirez followed with a ninth-place finish at 2:13.05. Makaela Lujan rounded things out with a 15th-place finish at 2:26.67.
"The team was pretty excited about the day's competition," NU coach Ken Ramirez said in an email. "If they continue to improve as they have there is a good chance that the Miners can edge Davis from their hold on the division. Each race will be dependent on which team makes the least mistakes. This will be a great season for the kids either way with such exciting competition."
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at (530) 477-4232. Deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- CROSSFIT: Shaun Havard, Will Havard gear up for 2017 Reebok CrossFit Games
- ROLLER DERBY: Growing Outlaws team seeks sponsors, new members
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Maxwell helps Gold Sox to victory
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon set for September, proceeds will fund mammograms and scholarships
- Following theft, beloved Nevada County local Kenny Bond to get new bike donated from local businesses
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- Joseph Ward, accused of murder, appears in Nevada County Superior Court
- CHP: Fire near Greenhorn Campground leads to evacuations