Nevada Union ski shines at Northstar
January 14, 2013
The Nevada Union alpine ski team opened its season Monday at Northstar with stellar results.
Under blue skies and amid crisp temperatures, the boys brought home a first-place finish and the girls took third in the giant slalom race.
The combined score of the boys and girls landed NU in second-place overall, behind 2011 state champion Davis.
Freshman Peter McDowell led the Miners with a third-place finish with a combined time of 2:06.37, followed by the Sekerek twins Robert, 2:10.59 (4th) and Michael, 2:10.72 (5th). Sophomore Ethan Good took sixth place with a time of 2:15.58.
The Lady Miners witnessed the return of last year's state qualifiers who skied even faster in the season opener.
Quinlan Grim led the team with a seventh-place finish with a time of 2:10.65.
Grim was followed by Olivia McDowell with a time of 2:11.29 (8th), Julia Ramirez followed with a ninth-place finish at 2:13.05. Makaela Lujan rounded things out with a 15th-place finish at 2:26.67.
"The team was pretty excited about the day's competition," NU coach Ken Ramirez said in an email. "If they continue to improve as they have there is a good chance that the Miners can edge Davis from their hold on the division. Each race will be dependent on which team makes the least mistakes. This will be a great season for the kids either way with such exciting competition."
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (530) 477-4232. Deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Maxwell helps Gold Sox to victory
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- GIVING BACK: Annual Lake Wildwood golf fundraiser aids injured vets
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- PREP FOOTBALL: A look at several must see games in the upcoming season
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Crews gain control of Grizzly Fire as dry, hot conditions continue in Nevada County
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville