Nevada Union riders take 6th at NorCal Championships
May 1, 2014
Three Nevada Union mountain bike team riders medaled in the NorCal High School League Mountain Bike conference championships held in muddy conditions at Lake County's Boggs Mountain State Park over the weekend.
Freshman riders Sarah Brennan and Jessica Seivert placed fourth and fifth respectively, while sophomore leader Liam Ruff won the last league contest handily, going undefeated for the season on his way to the North Division 1 Sophomore Division individual championship.
Coach Erik Newman told the team before the race that, with terrain similar to what's found in our area he expected a strong showing at Boggs and the riders didn't disappoint. A number of both boys and girls riders finished in the top 10 while posting their best results of the year.
As a team, the Miners moved up four positions from their 2013 final standing finishing sixth in the league's tough Division 1. Additionally, nearly a half dozen Miners parents were recognized with honorary medals for outstanding support work with the league which depends on more than 100 volunteers to stage each race. A majority of NU riders including Brennan, Ruff and Seivert qualified for the All-State High School Mountain Biking championship race to be held at Monterey County's Laguna Seca raceway in May.
Trending In: Sports
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- John Drew: The truth about Centennial Reservoir and the Bear River
- Nevada County banker stepping away after half century in the business
- Railbus 97 restored and ready to ride at Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum