Nevada Union riders take 6th at NorCal Championships
May 1, 2014
Three Nevada Union mountain bike team riders medaled in the NorCal High School League Mountain Bike conference championships held in muddy conditions at Lake County's Boggs Mountain State Park over the weekend.
Freshman riders Sarah Brennan and Jessica Seivert placed fourth and fifth respectively, while sophomore leader Liam Ruff won the last league contest handily, going undefeated for the season on his way to the North Division 1 Sophomore Division individual championship.
Coach Erik Newman told the team before the race that, with terrain similar to what's found in our area he expected a strong showing at Boggs and the riders didn't disappoint. A number of both boys and girls riders finished in the top 10 while posting their best results of the year.
As a team, the Miners moved up four positions from their 2013 final standing finishing sixth in the league's tough Division 1. Additionally, nearly a half dozen Miners parents were recognized with honorary medals for outstanding support work with the league which depends on more than 100 volunteers to stage each race. A majority of NU riders including Brennan, Ruff and Seivert qualified for the All-State High School Mountain Biking championship race to be held at Monterey County's Laguna Seca raceway in May.
Trending In: Sports
- FORD: Sacramento Kings need culture change in front office
- PREP BASKETBALL: Bear River, Forest Lake Christian girls advance; Nevada Union bounced
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union alums Maxwell, Houlihan shine on diamond
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian crushes Lutheran in 1st round of playoffs
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union alumna Woodward pins down All-American status