Nevada Union girls win snowboard state championship
March 9, 2013
The Nevada Union girls snowboard team went to Shasta with high expectations for the 2013 California Nevada Interscholastic Ski and Snowboard Federation championships – they met those expectations and came home with the title banner.
"It was a great season, and just a great group of kids," Nevada Union coach Don Farber said.
The Miners were led, as they have been all season, by the dynamic duo of Drew Bernadett and Celine Holland.
Bernadett took second in the giant slalom with a two-run combined time of 1 minute, 44.2 seconds. Holland was fourth in the giant slalom with a time of 1:46.5. Holland finished only a tenth of a second slower than the third-place finisher, Ruby Wood of Tahoe Truckee. Colfax's Nelly Steinhoff took first in the giant slalom with an impressive time of 1:37.8.
NU's Faith Robichaud placed 14th and Morgan Shade placed 22nd to round things out for the Miners in the giant slalom.
In the slalom event, Bernadett placed third, behind Steinhoff and Wood. Holland placed fifth, Robichaud was 17th and Shade was 37th.
With the combined individual scores the Miners finished in first-place as a team with 681 points. Tahoe Truckee was next with 653 points and El Dorado was third with 603 points.
Bernadett and Holland each were named to the 2013 California Nevada Interscholastic Ski and Snowboard Federation All-State snowboard team.
On the boys side, the Miners placed 11th overall out of 34 teams. Placer placed first, Tahoe Truckee was second, and Shasta took third.
Nevada Union was led by Andrew Scarafiotti with a 28th-place finish in the giant slalom. Phillip Breaux placed 39th for the Miners.
In the slalom event, NU was again led by Scarafiotti with a 22nd -place finish. Breaux took 36th for the Miners.
The boys and girls teams combined to finish in fourth-place overall. Tahoe Truckee as first, Shasta was second, and Foothill finished third.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232. deadline for submission is 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Maxwell helps Gold Sox to victory
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- GIVING BACK: Annual Lake Wildwood golf fundraiser aids injured vets
- PREP FOOTBALL: A look at several must see games in the upcoming season
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- Crews gain control of Grizzly Fire as dry, hot conditions continue in Nevada County