Nevada Union falls to Woodcreek in extras
May 8, 2013
The Nevada Union baseball team had it's longest winning streak of the season snapped Tuesday in Woodcreek as the Timberwolves edged the Miners, 4-3, in nine innings.
NU's win streak capped at four, but it wasn't without a fight. The Miners (13-13, 6-8 Sierra Foothill League) led 3-0 heading into the fifth, getting an RBI from leadoff man Jakob Freele as well as scoring runs on a bases-loaded walk and a fielder's choice.
But, Woodcreek battled back late, scoring a run in the fifth inning and two in the sixth to tie it before winning the game in the bottom of the ninth on a one-out sacrifice fly.
The Miners' Nick Eccarius had a stellar outing for NU. Usually reserved for late game situations, Eccarius made the start Tuesday, going seven strong innings, allowing five hits and three runs while striking out six and walking three. Eccarius took a no-decision in the game.
From the plate, Freele, a junior, went 2-for-4 including an RBI. Joey Souza, a junior, added two hits and senior Zach White impressed with a pair of doubles in four at-bats.
The Miners have one game left this season, facing Woodcreek in the rubber game today at NU weather permitting.
Nevada Union baseball will be hosting their annual dinner, award ceremony and auction May 18 at the Alta Sierra Country Club. The silent auction starts at 5:30 p.m. and dinner is served at 6:30. p.m.
Celebrate the 2013 season and bid on auction items. For tickets, contact Teresa Conger at congert@ yahoo.com by May 15.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- CROSSFIT: Shaun Havard, Will Havard gear up for 2017 Reebok CrossFit Games
- ROLLER DERBY: Growing Outlaws team seeks sponsors, new members
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon set for September, proceeds will fund mammograms and scholarships
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- Following theft, beloved Nevada County local Kenny Bond to get new bike donated from local businesses
- Joseph Ward, accused of murder, appears in Nevada County Superior Court
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- Bear drops by home near Cascade Shores (VIDEO)