Nevada Union alum named head coach at Foothill
March 15, 2013
Former Nevada Union running back and 2009 assistant coach Tim Trokey has been named the new head football coach at Foothill High School in Sacramento.
"(Trokey) demonstrated he was the best candidate for the job and that he has the ability to get us back to where we want to be as a program," Foothill Athletic Director William Lum said. "We expect him to start from the ground up and get us back to a competitive level."
After Trokey's time playing for Nevada Union, where he was a three-year varsity player from 1988-90 and was named to the 1990 Sacramento Bee All-Metro team, he took a scholarship to play receiver at the University of Mary in North Dakota.
"Tim was a terrific player for us," Nevada Union head coach Dave Humphers said. "He was a hard worker and a great kid to coach."
After graduating from college, Trokey went on to coach as an assistant at Alabama Christian Academy for seven years before taking the head coaching job at Montgomery Catholic.
In five years at Montgomery Catholic, Trokey took a withering football team that was 4-6 in his first two seasons and turned it into a team that made the playoffs in his final three seasons.
Recommended Stories For You
Trokey returned to California in 2009, spending two years on the NU staff as an assistant before coaching defensive backs at Del Oro last season.
"Foothill is very fortunate," Humphers said. "They got a great coach, a great mentor of young people and an outstanding teacher in Tim. The Foothill football team has been down for a while, and I'm looking forward to watching that program get better fast."
Trokey was hired two weeks ago and has already jumped right in, said Lum.
Trokey will take over a Foothill team that was 1-9 last season and 0-5 in Pioneer Valley League play. Foothill hasn't finished better than fifth in the PVL since joining in 2010.
To contact Sports Editor Walter Ford, call 530-477-4232 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union falls to Rocklin in league opener (VIDEO)
- PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River runs over El Dorado, remains unbeaten
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union opens Sierra Foothill League play at Rocklin
- PREP FOOTBALL: Undefeated Bear River travels to El Dorado for final non-league bout
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union volleyball tops Bear River in cross-county bout
- Sierra Nevada snow causes huge, fatal crash
- UPDATE: I-80 re-opened after multi-vehicle wreck, fatality
- Cause of death confirmed for Bridgeport hiker
- Grass Valley police: Spray painted, stolen vehicle leads to arrest
- Running into trouble: Failed negotiations between canal-side property owner and Banner Mountain group spur lawsuit