Nevada County based MMA fighter pounds out 2nd career victory
December 6, 2012
Nevada County-based mixed martial arts fighter Nick Sperling made short work of his Nov. 24 fight, defeating Santino Valdez, out of Redding, in the first round.
In the Season's Beatings event at Thunder Valley Casino, Sperling, fighting at 135 pounds, overwhelmed his opponent with furious ground and pound elbow strikes which eventually led to the fight being called.
In the first round the two fighters exchanged some early strikes before Sperling manuvered Valdez to the ground.
Valdez tried vigorously to defend with up kicks, and at times attempted to get Sperling in his guard to try for a triangle choke, but Sperling was able to keep the dominant position and deliver devastating elbow blows to Valdez's face, cutting him above the right eye.
The referee stopped the fight to have Valdez evaluated by the cage-side physician, who then stopped the bout.
With the win, Sperling, an instructor at the Powerhouse MMA Training Center in Grass Valley, improves his overall record to 2-4 and will likely fight again in April or May.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union blanked by Bulldogs
- PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River rallies late, edges Foothill
- PREP FOOTBALL: Nevada Union blanked by Folsom
- PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River rallies late, edges Foothill for 1st league win (VIDEO)
- BMX RACING: Davian “The Ghost Rider” Casper races to NorCal State Championship, Gold Cup title