Nevada County based MMA fighter pounds out 2nd career victory
December 6, 2012
Nevada County-based mixed martial arts fighter Nick Sperling made short work of his Nov. 24 fight, defeating Santino Valdez, out of Redding, in the first round.
In the Season's Beatings event at Thunder Valley Casino, Sperling, fighting at 135 pounds, overwhelmed his opponent with furious ground and pound elbow strikes which eventually led to the fight being called.
In the first round the two fighters exchanged some early strikes before Sperling manuvered Valdez to the ground.
Valdez tried vigorously to defend with up kicks, and at times attempted to get Sperling in his guard to try for a triangle choke, but Sperling was able to keep the dominant position and deliver devastating elbow blows to Valdez's face, cutting him above the right eye.
The referee stopped the fight to have Valdez evaluated by the cage-side physician, who then stopped the bout.
With the win, Sperling, an instructor at the Powerhouse MMA Training Center in Grass Valley, improves his overall record to 2-4 and will likely fight again in April or May.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- CROSSFIT: Shaun Havard, Will Havard gear up for 2017 Reebok CrossFit Games
- ROLLER DERBY: Growing Outlaws team seeks sponsors, new members
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon set for September, proceeds will fund mammograms and scholarships
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- Following theft, beloved Nevada County local Kenny Bond to get new bike donated from local businesses
- Joseph Ward, accused of murder, appears in Nevada County Superior Court
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- Bear drops by home near Cascade Shores (VIDEO)