Miners walk all over Bruins
April 8, 2013
In a Saturday matinee matchup between cross-county schools, the Nevada Union baseball team bested the Bear River Bruins, 10-0, in five innings.
The win improves the Miners to 7-5 overall as they head into Sierra Foothill League play Tuesday against Rocklin. The loss for Bear River (7-10, 2-4 Pioneer Valley League) is the third in a row.
The Miners got strong pitching from a trio of hurlers with Ryan McCarthy, Cody Gardner and Joey Souza combining to throw a five innings of shutout baseball while allowing just two hits and one walk.
Bear River's Andrew Reiss had one of the two Bruin hits, a double ripped into the left center field gap in the first inning. But other than an infield single by Michael Raigoza in the fifth inning, the Bruin bats were quiet for much of the day.
The Miner offense was driven by timely hitting and keen eyes at the plate. Nevada Union drew 10 walks on the day and had three batters reach after being hit by a pitch. The Miners had only four hits on the day, but one of those hits was a two-out, two-run single by Nick Eccarius that capped a six run fourth inning for NU.
Eccarius finished the day 2-for-3 with three RBIs. McCarthy, Gardner, and Travis Hansen all contributed RBIs for NU, and Zach White along with Jakob Freele added a two runs scored each.
A bright spot for the Bruins was their defensive play, turning a pair of double plays in the early innings.
Bear River will look to snap their current three-game losing streak Wednesday against Lincoln. Nevada Union opens SFL play Tuesday at Rocklin.
Trending In: Sports
- TRACK & FIELD: World, American records fall at Sierra Gold Masters Track and Field Festival
- COLLEGE BOUND: Nevada Union student athletes make college commitments
- PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union track and field qualifies four to Masters Meet
- INDYCAR: Rossi qualifies on the front row for Indy 500
- YOUTH BASEBALL: Gold Country Bears claw way to tourney title
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip