PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union volleyball tops Oakmont, extends winning streak
March 16, 2017
The Nevada Union boys volleyball team extended its winning streak to four straight matches after topping Oakmont in four sets, 25-17, 22-25, 25-19, 25-12, Thursday at Albert Ali Gymnasium.
The Miners have now won nine of their first 11 games this season.
Nevada Union is also 3-0 in Sierra Foothill League play after knocking off Woodcreek in four sets, 22-25, 25-22, 25-14, 25-14, Wednesday.
In the win over Woodcreek, the Miners got strong efforts from Lucas Kerley (12 kills, 16 digs and four blocks), Trevor Campbell (11 kills and 13 digs), Leo Zlimen (10 kills), Adam Dennis (26 digs) and Sam Hales (29 assists).
Next up for the Miners (9-2, 3-0 SFL) is a home bout with league foe Folsom.
Recommended Stories For You
Yuba City 19, Nevada Union 0
The Honkers had their way with the Miners Thursday, shutting down NU's offense while plating run after run.
Yuba City took a 1-0 lead after one inning, then added four in the third inning and four in the fourth before putting the game away with 11 runs in the fifth.
Nevada Union managed just two hits, coming from James Nolan and Owen Day.
The Miners are now 2-2 overall this season.
Granite Bay 15, Nevada Union 3
The Lady Miners jumped out to a 3-0 lead in their SFL opener against Granite Bay Wednesday, but their lead was short lived as the Lady Grizzlies scored nine in their half of the first inning and another six in the second inning.
Nevada Union tallied four hits in the loss, getting base knocks and RBIs from Riley Newman and Mackenzie Enos. Bailey McNew and Alex Pussich also added hits for the Lady Miners.
Nevada Union is now 4-10 overall and 0-1 in SFL play.
JV: Granite Bay 14, Nevada Union 10
In a junior varsity slugfest it was the Lady Grizzlies outlasting the Lady Miners Wednesday.
Leading Nevada Union were Michelle Gonzales, Emerson Dunbar, Kendall Hughes, Leah Ellis and Emree Nau all with multiple hits in the game.
The JV Lady Miners are now 8-3 overall and 0-1 in the SFL.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 530-477-4232.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Lady Miners enjoying best season in years, set to face Rocklin on Pink Night
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Lady Miners sweep Rocklin on Pink Night (VIDEO)
- PREP FOOTBALL: Bear River, Colfax face off in critical league bout
- YOUTH BASEBALL: Gold Country Bears claim multiple tourney titles
- YOUTH FOOTBALL: Junior Miners start fast, top Rio Linda
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Moratorium on insurance policies affect prospective Nevada County homeowners
- Grass Valley murder suspect pleads not guilty by reason of insanity
- Suspect arrested in two Grass Valley spot fires
- Hefty expenses force Nevada City to take out loans