PREP ROUNDUP: Nevada Union volleyball tops Oakmont, extends winning streak
March 16, 2017
The Nevada Union boys volleyball team extended its winning streak to four straight matches after topping Oakmont in four sets, 25-17, 22-25, 25-19, 25-12, Thursday at Albert Ali Gymnasium.
The Miners have now won nine of their first 11 games this season.
Nevada Union is also 3-0 in Sierra Foothill League play after knocking off Woodcreek in four sets, 22-25, 25-22, 25-14, 25-14, Wednesday.
In the win over Woodcreek, the Miners got strong efforts from Lucas Kerley (12 kills, 16 digs and four blocks), Trevor Campbell (11 kills and 13 digs), Leo Zlimen (10 kills), Adam Dennis (26 digs) and Sam Hales (29 assists).
Next up for the Miners (9-2, 3-0 SFL) is a home bout with league foe Folsom.
Yuba City 19, Nevada Union 0
The Honkers had their way with the Miners Thursday, shutting down NU's offense while plating run after run.
Yuba City took a 1-0 lead after one inning, then added four in the third inning and four in the fourth before putting the game away with 11 runs in the fifth.
Nevada Union managed just two hits, coming from James Nolan and Owen Day.
The Miners are now 2-2 overall this season.
Granite Bay 15, Nevada Union 3
The Lady Miners jumped out to a 3-0 lead in their SFL opener against Granite Bay Wednesday, but their lead was short lived as the Lady Grizzlies scored nine in their half of the first inning and another six in the second inning.
Nevada Union tallied four hits in the loss, getting base knocks and RBIs from Riley Newman and Mackenzie Enos. Bailey McNew and Alex Pussich also added hits for the Lady Miners.
Nevada Union is now 4-10 overall and 0-1 in SFL play.
JV: Granite Bay 14, Nevada Union 10
In a junior varsity slugfest it was the Lady Grizzlies outlasting the Lady Miners Wednesday.
Leading Nevada Union were Michelle Gonzales, Emerson Dunbar, Kendall Hughes, Leah Ellis and Emree Nau all with multiple hits in the game.
The JV Lady Miners are now 8-3 overall and 0-1 in the SFL.
Coaches may submit game reports by email at email@example.com or by phone at 530-477-4232.
Stories You May Be Interested In
Trending In: Sports
- Graduating class helps power Nevada Union volleyball program back to prominence
- Nevada Union baseball team comes from behind to beat Folsom
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Bear River, Nevada Union and FLC grads making impact at the next levels
- PREP TRACK AND FIELD: Miners shine at multiple meets
- Nevada County Adult Sports Association’s Player of The Week: Kevin “K2” Nelson
- Nevada County authorities say missing girl is found in Combie Road honey oil bust
- Gang member hits victim with gun in downtown Grass Valley, police say
- 19-year-olds take ownership of Paradise Donuts
- Grass Valley police say threats led to altercation, arrest on Sutton Way
- Former Nevada Union student killed in Ojai rollover crash