Miners split weekend Legion games
June 17, 2013
The Grass Valley Miners split a pair of American Legion road games over the weekend, first extending their winning streak to seven with a 14-4 win against Chico Red Saturday, then having that streak snapped Sunday with an 8-3 loss against Clayton Valley.
In the lopsided victory over Chico, the Miners' Jordan Jiannino got the win, throwing four innings of no-hit ball while striking out four. Chris Sardo wrapped things up for Grass Valley in the fifth.
From the plate, Joey Souza provided the fireworks with six RBIs coming off a pair of doubles, a single and a sac fly.
Garrett O'Callaghan tallied three RBIs in the win with a double and a triple. Jakob Freele, Dalton Maxwell, Dylan Conger, Christian Straub and Noah Arriaga all added hits in the victory.
In Sunday's loss, the Miners struggled to slow the potent Clayton Valley offense, allowing seven runs through the first four innings, and were unable to overcome the deficit.
From the mound, Straub took the loss, and Sardo, along with O'Callaghan, logged innings from the slab.
On the offensive end for Grass Valley, Freele, Maxwell, Conger, O'Callaghan, Jiannino, Arriaga and Brock Grininger all had hits. Souza added an RBI.
The Miners now sit at 7-1 this season with wins over Del Oro, Bear River and Chico. They hit the diamond again today against Reno.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- FORD: A look back at the Sacramento Kings’ best and worst draft day decisions
- MOTO: Local rider Anson Maloney gears up for International Six Day Enduro race in France
- CYCLING: Riekert wins mens pro race at 57th annual Nevada City Classic
- INDYCAR: Alexander Rossi unveils new line of merchandise
- NBA DRAFT: Kings take De’Aaron Fox, Justin Jackson and Harry Giles in 1st round
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case
- Man burned in suspected butane honey oil lab explosion sent to hospital, authorities say
- Vehicle fire: Fire units battling blaze at Hwy 20 and Poker Flat Road (Video)
- Marijuana grow murder case in Nevada County judge’s hands